Worldly people don't suck

by streets76 13 Replies latest jw friends

• streets76
    streets76

My wife (never a JW) is ill and undergoing a series of treatments that will last for many months. It's a physical, emotional, and financial drain on both of us.

My wife has run her own business for many years and has an extensive client list that includes some very well-to-do folks. One of those clients called her one day and offered to pay all of her medical expenses. (We were very appreciative for the gesture, but declined the offer.)

Every other day people show up with prepared meals. This has been the norm for many weeks.

As Randy Newman once sang, "human kindness is overflowing..."

Wordly people don't suck.

I didn't realize that until I became one.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Isn't it tragic that it took us all so long to appreciate this? The world is what we make it. We are not victims.

• moshe
    moshe

I found this out when our home burned down in 1982- worldly people helped us, raised money for us, churches donated stuff for us- what did the KH do? The brothers wanted to me to hire them to rebuild our house -

• moshe
    moshe

My Jw wife and I discussed that something was wrong in JW-land- as worldly people are generous- even to JWs, but JWs would seldom help a worldy person -

• lifeisgood
    lifeisgood

My ex wife, her mother and brother, all Jehovah's Witnesses from birth, live in the house that I bought and paid off and gave to my ex when we divorced. In the state that we divorced in the house is almost always divided equally. I gave her the house in order to take care of my children. The ex, mother in law and brother in law are so crazy and so belligerent that none of my children will live in that house. My youngest daughter is 18 and lives with a nice family, she goes to college. She got a job recently and told me that she is getting her own place because under no circumstances will she move back into that house to live with those lunatics.

The idiots did not have fire insurance and the brother in law started a fire by doing something ignorant. The house was severely damaged.

My children have been trying to help their mother fix the house. One of my daughters went to the Kingdom Hall that my ex and her mother are assigned to. The "elders" came to their house, looked around, didn't say hardly a word to anyone, and left. They made no offer of any kind of assistance. My daughter went back to the hall and asked them what they planned on doing. I don't know what the elders said in response but the answer was nothing.

I offered to pay for materials if the expense was not outside of my ability, and there are other groups that will give limited amounts of help. What my ex needs is people who know how to do the work. I was on the quick build committee for years and a quick build could restore the house in one weekend.

So, the "elders" are perfectly happy to know that these "witnesses" are living in a burned out house while the elders do absolutely nothing to help them.

None of my children are Witnesses. They all left the Jehovah's Witness religion because they cannot stand the hypocrisy. And for the past two years they and I have been spending whatever extra money we had to buy materials to fix the house. Some of the work they did themselves, some of it we hired skilled workers for whatever that trade was.

Oh, my ex, her mother, and her brother have done ZERO to fix the house, my children have done it all. One of my daughters has to act as the general contractor because there simply is no one else. The wonderful elders couldn't even get someone from the quick build committee to play that role for my daughters.

These Jehovah's Witnesses just make me sick.

• chickpea
    chickpea

my sincere good wishes for most favorable outcome
    in the circumstances you and your wife are enduring...
    it is heartening to hear you are being well supported

i have to say, at first blush reading the thread title
    i was bemused as to what the heck was meant....
    since it is a vastly inclusive assertion about people,
    "worldly" or otherwise!!!

i had a drill instructor who said
    "you have to respect the uniform
    and the rank on it" when dealing
    with people in the armed services....

meaning, and he DID elaborate>>>

@ssholes are everywhere, but in the military
    you dont have the luxury of ignoring every
    @sshole who outranks you, so respect the rank
    if you cannot respect the person

that being said, oh yeah lots of worldly people suck
    and some seem to treat it like an olympic event for
    which they try to attain the gold medal!

but as a collective, i agree, non-JWs have proven
    time and again to be the absolute salt of the earth

• The Finger
    The Finger

I have a friend who became ill. She had people arriving at her door and leaving her dinners and helping out, people she didn't know. She was not a JW and never has been.

When I was ill and needed to claim assistance from the government. Nobody from the congregation came or phoned. One Brother enquired through a relative as to why I was not at the meetings. (An Elder who had served for many years as PO) When he was informed I was ill. He asked if I was still working. (Hinting that if I was I should be at the meetings) I wasn't working he was informed. Nobody phoned or visited. A week later the Elder cancelled my magazine order as I hadn't been able to collect them (Although my relative who was attending and he had spoken to regarding my lack of attendence had a much larger quantity of magazines to collect)

In 1987 we had the worst storm in over 300 years. Hurricane force winds uprooted millions of trees. We were awakened by the noise and vibration of our bed moving across the bedroom floor.

At the following meeting an Elder announced how everyone was ok and everyone in the congregation had been phoned regarding the situation. We nor my relatives every recieved a phone call from any of the Elders regarding the storm and damage or if we were alright.

(Just as a side point as I didnt cancelled my magazine order i never felt the need to reinstate it. Therefore I attended without a watchtower for several years)

I always understood that one of the identifying marks of true christianity was the love amongst themselves. I can't say I felt it.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

My wife and I took care of a dear friend for 15 years in our house. Our freind was a JW. The last 2 years being on a vent it was 24/7. When our friend died only 4 people came over to see us from the hall. But the so called worldly people we knew brought us food, cards, flowers and encouragement. The reason the JW didn't come over was because that coming weekend was a assembly. They told us they were to busy to come over. But e-mail my wife and told her hope to see you at the assembly. We were in shock that week. It took all I could do to keep from telling them all off. During the funeral at the hall only 4 people came up to us to tell us how sorry they were for our lose. But the so called worldly people who were there came up and comfort us. So yes so called worldly people do not suck. But Cult JW for the most part do. They have no idea what love is. Totally ADD

• sinis
    sinis

A few years ago I had a major life altering event and almost died. I was airvac'd to another city (close by ~100 miles) and remained in ICU for several weeks. Its ironic that almost EVERYONE I work with made the journey up to the hospital to visit me, sit and watch movies (they brought movies and a dvd player), read a book, food for my family, etc. My wife did not know anyone in this city but since my jobs main office is in this city one woman up there (who I do not know) called my wife and told her she could use her vehicle to get around town and visit me. Another co worker who had never met my wife offered to let my wife stay in her house until I was released. My wife was very moved. Not ONE witness from my city visited me, and only a couple of elders from that city attempted to visit me (probably wondering if I was going to take blood), and even though I was heavily sedated I told my wife NO I do not want them here!! I was later told that they were outside the doorway and heard me. In fact when my wife left the room I told the nurse under no condition do I want JW's in my room. She said she understood. It didn't really matter as no other JW's showed up. I never received any calls, no visits, etc. after being discharged and released home. However, I got calls from coworkers, clients, etc from all over the country wanting to know how I was and if I needed any help.

I can tell you to this day that I know who my true friends are, and "worldly" people are far from "worldly"...

• s0rt3d
    s0rt3d

So true that 'worldly' people don't suck. They are not judgemental like the Witnesses nor do they find it difficult to help out in times of need. JWs usually have some excuse - too much to do in FS, meetings etc. Truly there is no real love. Very few in my former congs showed the love that the Org. likes to boast so much about in the mags.

If it is 'by the love they have among themselves Jesus disciples identify themselves,' then the JWs are NOT his people!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit