David and Goliath TRUE OR FALSE

by jam 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think most myths are "based on" some sort of event. Did a king named David slay a guy much larger than himself while he was just a young warrior? Wouldn't be unheard of. The rest is embellishment.

• suenott63
    suenott63

Unlike god who holds us all accountable for adams sin. and the ottomans victims are not complaining about thier suffering at thier hands niether are jws always going on about the suffering at the hands of the nazis or Malawis ruling party or indeed the palestinians who were pushed out of thier homeland what is going on in palestine at the hands of Isreal is virtually ignored or brushed under the carpet by our countries because of the promise made at the end of ww2.

Neither did I say that anyone deserved to suffer at the hands of the nazis or anyone else.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, I didn't think it was going to be the last anti-Israel word from suenott63.

Look, if the only thing you can post here is your distaste for Israel and love of Islam, you are probably trolling on the wrong forum.

• tec
    tec
    Answer me this . True or False ?did the jews allow themselves to be mistreated and murdered by the Nazi's ? was there widespread Jewish revolt at the treatment meted out by the nazi's ghetto's ? Yes there was individual acts of defiance but in general they went like lambs to the slaughter.

Have you seen the movie, Defiance? I never though there was a revolt by the Jewish people either until I saw that. Sometimes what we think we know is barely a glimmer of the whole picture.

Also, you must keep in mind that the treatment and 'rounding up' of the Jewish people (and others) started off with smaller infringements. Little by little, so it wasn't just a 'torture and kill 'em all'. At that, there might have been more fighting. But its the 'little by little' that blindsides you. Perhaps they did not consider just how much horror the people they had once called friends and fellow Germans were capable of committing.

All that being said, to answer the OP, I think David's great victory over the giant was supposed to relay the fact that God was on his side... and the difference in their size and skill emphasize that point. So I believe the story is true - and that is one reason why the people believed God to being on his side. Perhaps just a little embellished, as great feats tend to be.

Tammy

• suenott63
    suenott63

Thats interesting is that movie defience the one with daniel craig ? if so I will have a look. I agree that we hardly ever see the whole picture all you can do is view testimony from lots of sources and then you may get to the truth. The problem for me with religion is that people are told not to do that because the clergy class or gb have the truth and you dont need to look elswhere for the truth.

• tec
    tec
    Thats interesting is that movie defience the one with daniel craig ?

That's the one, yes. It is really good, and it does help broaden perspective.

tammy

• suenott63
    suenott63

I wanted to see that . I will download tonight .thanks Tammy

• JeffT
    JeffT

I guess I will start a new thread about how myths grow out of real stories. This thread has been trashed beyond redemption.

• suenott63
    suenott63

sorry jeff my fault

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I guess I will start a new thread about how myths grow out of real stories. This thread has been trashed beyond redemption.

Well, if we really are back on topic - doesn't the David and Goliath story vaguely remind anyone else of the myths of George Washington throwing a silver dollar across the Delaware river, or refusing to tell a lie over chopping down the cherry tree? It also made me think of the story of slaying the Minotaur - perhaps, like the flood, this type of story has parallel myths in other than Jewish tradition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit