To the theists: Your reaction if God hypothetically changed the standards of right and wrong

by simon17 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AGuest
    AGuest
    why not weigh in?

Because I thought it was moot, dear one (again, peace to you!). The standard of right and wrong has been changed by the Most Holy One of Israel, per se, on more than one occasion. Just one example is divorce - He allowed it, under Moses, even though He hated it. But that was not how it was in the beginning... nor how it is under Christ.

When the Most Holy One of Israel changes His standard, dear one... it is so that mercy is shown to us. Because we can't live up to the standard.

But I wanted you to know that the false tale of "new" scrolls was just that... false. Because apparently you didn't know (thus, your use of it in your hypothetical).

I hope this clarifies and, again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• simon17
    simon17

No, i didn't mean to mean the 'new scrolls' as per the JW theology, I just figured it would be a term everyone would be aware of, especially here. But thanks...

So you agree the standards of right and wrong can change, which is intersting. So would you be willing ot do things like that if they were needed to change things again? Its an interesting question as to what you would do I think.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Unfortunately, I am a foolish thing, dear one (peace to you!)... and being foolish would not deign to say as I have no idea what the ultimate outcome or potentially far-reaching consequences could/would be. I think your question is better left to those here who are wise (or stupid) enough to contemplate such a thing. My apologies - I don't consider myself either.

But again, peace to YOU!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• caliber
    caliber

AGuest... please see messages ...Cal

• simon17
    simon17

Fair enough...

Peace

• AGuest
    AGuest

Seen and responded to, dear Cal... and the greatest of love and peace to you and yours, dear one!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• villabolo
    villabolo

Simon17:

"To those that believe in God, suppose he were to hypothetically change various standards of right and wrong, suppose with the new scrolls to be opened. Things such as rape, theft and immorality are now perfectly fine and acceptable. Would you feel fine to practice those things now, or no?"

PublishingCult: "Um, things like rape, theft and immorality always were perfectly fine and acceptable to God. Just read the Old Testiment."

Simon, is this an oblique way of getting us to think about Old Testament standards? Whether it is or not, the fact is that the God of the Bible has already "changed" his standards of morality. I put "changed" in quote marks because I'm talking from the perspective of both Christian and modern Jewish religion which no longer adhere to those "Godly" principles.

As for atheists and their morality, the arrogant assumption by some theists is that belief in their God is necessary to have a moral sense. But if they go by the example of those Biblical "holy" men, that are so lauded, it becomes obvious that both their god and his morality are debased.

As for theists and their (flexible) concept of morality, your question appears to be a good attempt to trick them into discerning either the absurdity of the Biblical God or perhaps any type of moral god. I suggest that you give up, however, Their minds are silly putty and they can wrap it around any concept that contradicts them, no matter how absurd.

Villabolo

• simon17
    simon17

No trick villabolo, just interested in what people will say. Arguing events in the Bible is like trying to paddle against a tsunami, so that probably wasn't my intention. I'm more interested in the concept of where morality comes from. Is it absolute above god, such that he is bound to have his standards of right and wrong align with what is good? Or does god define morality (hence my question).

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

What if there is no"right and wrong ?" That all of or judgments are illuisions. What if this is how "god" does business?

Check it out with Neale Walsh's "Conversations with god"............

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

God is love. Plain and simple. Its man that has this whole thing complicated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit