Older Guys: did you pioneer during 'Nam?

by compound complex 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• compound complex
    compound complex

Did you receive a 4-D classification readily?

Thanks,

CC

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

All the guys in our cong were reg pioneers, although I think most of us were casual coasters back then as well. Thank god that gas was cheap! You had to place 100 mags, so you had to have a standing magazine order for 25 of each issue. Thus, you had to live in a place that had a fireplace or go camping often. We all got 4-Ds. None here went to prison during Vietnam Period, though many did over Korean Conflict. Lucky bastards that got 4-Fs didn't have to pioneer.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, DesirousOfChange:

Yes, the standards were high. Seven studies, 35 [?] back-calls, etc. Big fear getting kicked off the list. Some born-ins I knew had to fight for their 4-D.

Gratefully,

CC

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I received the 1-O classification easily (Conscientious Objector). I was not a regular pioneer, though I "vacation pioneered" often. Just the same, regular pioneer was the standard with the draft board to get a 4-D. I could have been in some difficulty (since 1-O's could be called for alternative service, which was also forbidden at the time) had not the draft lottery begun and I drew the number 351. With that high a number, there was no chance of my being called. I was reclasssified 1-H (High Lottery) and the quest for a 4-D became moot.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, NeonMadman, for that information. I wasn't aware of all those variables.

What an era, as we believed and preached that we would never grow old in this system of things!

Thanks again,

CC

• sabastious
    sabastious

What is a 4-D classification?

-Sab

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi Sab:

That was the minister's classification we were required to have to avoid induction. The Selective Service accepted the WT pioneer status.

Thanks for posting.

CC

• r51785
    r51785

I was a pioneer in NJ trying to get a 4-D and my draft board demanded a notarized letter from the society confirming I was a pioneer. I'm sure the society loved the Vietnam War. All the guys I knew became pioneers to avoid it. Then in 1973 Nixon eliminated the draft and we all got reclassified 1-H. I don't think I would have ever pioneered without the draft.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was 18 in 1975, the year they eliminated the draft. I did not need to pioneer to avoid getting drafted. I know of a few that did the pioneer thing to avoid the draft. There was also someone who spent some time in prison because of the draft. I never understood what happened, because he was a poineer.

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

I had 4-D from 1968-1970 and then when to Bethel in 1970. Funny thing thing is my pioneer partner for two years in Kansas and room mate at Bethel Roy Bethel told me in 1974 that the only reason he pioneered was to get his 4-D....he was 1-A at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit