"Has the writing always been this bad?" -- A Channel C Contributor Hits The Nail On The Head

by Room 215 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• Room 215
    Room 215

This from Channel C.....

"A nice older lady dropped off a couple of magazines the other day. I hadn’t read WT material recently, so decided to have a quick read of the March 1/11 WT, “The Good News of the Kingdom – What is It?”

The first article, “A Prophecy of Enormous Importance”, begins with a quotation from Matthew 24:14, “The good news of the kingdom must be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” The article says that “…scholars agree, [that this prophecy] is highly important.” But it doesn’t mention which scholars or in what sense it is “highly important.” (p.3) I would venture that scholars in fact don’t agree at all about the importance, exact meaning, application or timing of this prophecy.

On p. 4, the article claims that “Christendom’s leaders offer conflicting, confusing, and complicated explanations…One writes that God’s Kingdom is “…an experience with God in which men and women find salvation.” However, there is no reference. They then reference a similar quotation from the Catechism of the Catholic church: “The kingdom of God [is] righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit”, as if this was completely off base, when in fact it is almost a verbatim quotation from Paul (Ro 14:17). The first quotation could also be supported by Ro 14:17. Did the writer not know this or not bother to look it up? The WTS is now in the unenvious position of opposing the apostle Paul.

And this brings up another problem. In the previous paragraph, “…scholars agree…” is used to prove their point. But in this paragraph, “Christendom’s leaders”, which I assume are scholars, are in a state of confusion. So are they dependable or not? You can’t have it both ways.

On p.5, the writer tells us that, “…Jesus assured his faithful apostles that they, along with others, would be resurrected to heaven and would sit on thrones. (Luke 22:28:30)”. The writer assures us that these thrones are symbolic since there aren't realy thrones in heaven. Yet the scripture cited says nothing about heaven, only about sitting on thrones. Citations must support your assertion and this one doesn't.

The writer then accuses churches which do social work, or build hospitals or schools of having ulterior motives: only to gain disciples. It never occurs to the writer that these may be doing these good works out of sincere concern for other people. Maybe the WTS should try doing this. (p.6)

Again, we have a non-reference to “One theologian [that] writes…” Which theologian? Where and when was this written? (p.6)

The writer then makes a major gaff by ridiculing Catholics for thinking that the best way to preach the good news is “…by living their life in such as way that it would be an example to others” and then praising JWs for doing exactly the same thing (p.8). Sorry, WTS, as before, you can’t have it both ways.

The article, if handed in as a paper to any self-respecting school would be a fail. If submitted to any decent magazine would be rejected. There isn’t even an attempt to adhere to basic journalistic standards. The article contradicts itself in a number of places. Citations are missing or misused. It is very poorly done. If the WTS wants to be credible (and I assume that it does), it could start by introducing generally accepted journalistic practices into their writing department. The situation is even more desperate considering these magazines are for public, not internal, consumption (at least that’s my understanding).

What is going on here? Has the writing always been this bad but I just now noticed it? Or is it deteriorating as we get "closer to the end?"

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Amen Bruva!

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I figure that it's due to 2 factors.

1) If you compare literature overall to media today you see a "dumbing down" to serve and attract a society that has a diminishing attention span. Compare, say, the text of Stoker's Dracula to today's Twilight-series books.

2) There is a benefit for the WTBS to write in such a puerile and unsophisticated manner. It helps to quell independant thought. This method works well when used in conjunction with constant authoritative indoctrincation. Orwell touched on this in 1984 when they would remove words from the dictionary with the ultimate goal of wittling the english language down to just a few words. All a JW needs to be concerned with is the 2 or 3 sentences crudely explaining this "new light". Any further speculation on this topic/issue is simply left to "waiting on Jehovah".

It is very frustrating to read such 3rd-grade level un-original material. It's insulting. And having to repeat this drivel in a Q&A comment is even further insulting.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The WTBTS needs an overhaul...................big time!

Good topic.

• Ding
    Ding

When you start noticing cracks in the Watchtower, you also start noticing the poor writing and non-sequiturs.

Before that, you think the problem is you.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Compare, say, the text of Stoker's Dracula to today's Twilight-series books.

Seriously, no offense to anyone on this board who is a fan of Twilight books. I'm not trying to start an arguement and I didn't mean it as an insult, no matter how poorly I worded this.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

They have always had bad writing going back to Rutherford and Russell. Today WT has to compete with the Internet. When I was a kid, I might use something in Awake! for a school paper. Now a kid can go on the Internet and get up-to-date information from a university, the government, or any number of authoritative websites.

At its foundation, Watchtower remains a relic of the 19th century.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I agree with Mr. Falcon. I was from a little child a fan of horror movies (NOT slasher movies!). Horror is the ability to allow fear to sneak up on you to create a momentary or more lasting panic at the very core of your survival. I loved Ambrose Bierce. I often wonder if this phenomena is gone.

I could write one, but it would alas only be camp.

Randy

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ Writing Department..

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_273/1211987088Xl8JLh.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3489/3252874455_7c11120493.jpghttp://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_283/1214339011y1Orp9.jpg

.................... ...OUTLAW

• sir82
    sir82

I think it's a combination of laziness and arrogance in the Writing Department. It goes something like this:

1) Here's an unsubstantiated factoid I can include to support my conclusion...should I try to verify it?

2) Why bother? If a reader were to challenge it, it would be a sure sign of apostasy or "causing divisions" or "not being submissive"

3) An obedient JW will just swallow this down without a second thought

4) 99.999% of our reading audience are believing JWs

5) So no, I'm not gonna bother to substantiate this claim...I'll just throw in a "scholars agree" or "leaders of Christendom" and be done with it

By the way, has any English speaking person, outside of the WTS, actually used the word "Christendom" in the past 80 years in any context at all?

I have to wonder about the occasional 1/2 of 1% of householders who don't immediately throw the mags in the trash and actually read an article. They come across the word "Christendom" and have to say "Huh???"

I saw the 1948 version of "Joan of Arc" last night on TCM, and at one point someone used the word "Christendom". It jumped out at me....because it fit so perfectly with the 15th century mindset.

Unfortuantely for the WTS, the magazines are being written in th e21st century.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit