Channels Turn Foul as they Ebb

by Marie B. Paraison 18 Replies latest social current

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

DOC, attendance numbers would be a pretty good factor.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I also think the abolition of the book study in private homes was a big blow to the Witness sense of community.

• metatron
    metatron

In organizations that are secretive and totalitarian, it can be impossible to know what the real truth is. Reasons are given to placate the employees/citizens/publishers rather than the objective facts that led to a major change.

When they needed to cut expenses, they dumped subscriptions and made up some nonsense about creating more return visits and personal distribution. Despite all of the financially driven cuts they've made, they never acknowledge the lack of donations as the cause.

As to the Book Study, I think there were multiple motivations. Such as : possible legal liability and lawsuits in using a private home for official meetings - and the need to cut a meeting to allow time for "Family Night".

In turn, "Family Night", was created to relieve pressure on them because of the deepening failure of Witness families and especially the danger of a perception suddenly emerging that trying to raise your kids in the "truth" is almost totally futile. By creating this home meeting, it exploits the general sense of guilt and self loathing that Witnesses feel - so that the glorious Organization continues to escape responsibility for the loss of Witness kids...... as in "I know I didn't put enough effort into Family Night" or "I know I skipped Family Night too often".

Slimfatboy hits the nail on the head. The cruel and distant Governing Body has wrecked what little socialization existed in the congregation. They don't want a 'social club" , just obedient drones. In the end, they will get neither.

metatron

• Glander
    Glander

Hate to be redundant but as has been said above, the WTS is totally paranoid about independent groups getting together to discuss the literature.

Ray Franz found this out and the rest is history.

Just to re-phrase - The Watchtower B & T Society is pretty much paranoid about members using their own brains outside of their sanctioned program. This becasue they are a cult - period.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Slimfatboy hits the nail on the head. The cruel and distant Governing Body has wrecked what little socialization existed in the congregation. They don't want a 'social club" , just obedient drones. In the end, they will get neither.

Absolutely right! We used to have an afternoon group study for the elderly among us; an hour for the study followed by an hour chatting over tea and cakes. Everyone enjoyed it and benefited from the association.

I used the free time to do more personal study and that's how I ended up here!

George

• jeckle
    jeckle

i think your all right i especially like mls's comments and glanders paranoid comment i think all of that played into it but none of the cover stories

• Violia
    Violia

That " shake weight " commercial has had a lot of spoofs. The best , I think is SNl . lol funny.

• itsbeenalongtime
    itsbeenalongtime

@ miseryloveselders omg that is so funny!!!!

• Violia
    Violia

The South park spoof is on that video clip too. You can access just as easily. I thought it was funny, but nobody does commercial spoofs like SNL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit