Some very poor countries aided US after Katrina. Why we should help Japan.

by FlyingHighNow 14 Replies latest social current

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Some think we should not aid Japan. Here is something my niece posted on facebook about it. Then there is my response. Follows is the article about countries who aided US victims of Katrina.

My Niece: I'm not saying that Japan does not deserve the help. By all means, I think someone needs to help them. But like McKenzie said, we are not the only ones. We can barely provide for our own citizens. There are millions without jobs, losing the ... ir homes to forclosure, not the mention the countless people already homeless and destitute.
    And though it is not something that should be considered when making such a profound decision, how many countries come running to our aid? How many stood up when we had the oil spill? When wildfires run rampant in the west? Or better yet, when Katrina destroyed the southern coastline? Being an ally is a two way street. I do not see anyone else going out of their way to aid our cause, other than allowing us to borrow money. But in the end they will want their money back, and because we did not help ourselves before them, we will not have the means to give them what they ask for. See More about an

• Something to consider, Sarah, borders and countries are man made. People are people. We are all in this together. An emergency is an emergency. We are one big family, the human race. If family doesn't take care of family, it spells the end of humanity. Remember New Orleans and Katrina? Remember how many Americans did not think the victims needed or deserved AID? ‎"90 nations offer aid to help U.S. with Katrina
    Countries rich and poor send money, food, doctors to help hurricane victims" " Impoverished Bangladesh, where millions live on a monsoon- and flood-prone delta, pledged $1 million and offered rescuers. Thailand, recalling U.S. aid after last year's tsunami, offered to send 60 doctors and nurses as well as rice as a "gesture from the heart." Here's the link to the article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/i d/9231819/ns/us_news-katri na_the_long_road_back/
  • 90 nations offer aid to help U.S. with Katrina

Countries rich and poor send money, food, doctors to help hurricane victims

LONDON — Impoverished Bangladesh, where millions live on a monsoon- and flood-prone delta, pledged $1 million and offered rescuers. Thailand, recalling U.S. aid after last year's tsunami, offered to send 60 doctors and nurses as well as rice as a "gesture from the heart."

They are among more than 90 countries, rich and poor, proposing assistance to victims of Hurricane Katrina, with Kuwait, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates contributing "very large cash" donations, the State Department said Tuesday.

The Bush administration eagerly accepted a German offer of high-speed pumps to reduce the floodwaters in New Orleans and a Dutch offer of experts on levee reconstruction.

"There is a process of matching needs with expertise and the donations that have been made," said State Department spokesman Sean McCormack.

Some offers may not be accepted
    He indicated that the U.S. health care system is meeting current needs stemming from the hurricane. That could mean that offers of medical experts from Cuba and other countries will not be accepted, but McCormack said no decisions have been made.

He said decisions on proposals from foreign governments will be based on needs and not political considerations. Cuba has offered 1,100 doctors for hurricane relief despite the hostile political relations between the two countries. Havana has repeatedly rejected U.S. offers of humanitarian relief over the years.

In some cases, relief was already on the way.

In Halifax, Nova Scotia, three Canadian navy ships, a coast guard vessel, several Sea King helicopters and about 1,000 personnel were preparing to leave for Louisiana. The ships packed supplies for two to three months.

Help from Canada and Mexico
    "Canada was built by neighbors helping neighbors in times of crisis. That doesn't apply just within our borders," Prime Minister Paul Martin said at the naval dockyard.

On Monday, the Mexican navy ship Papaloapan left the Gulf coast port of Tampico and headed for New Orleans with eight all-terrain rescue vehicles, seven amphibious cargo vehicles, a mobile hospital, two helicopters and drinking water.

A Mexican army convoy of 15 vehicles was to follow, carrying food, medical workers, water-treatment facilities and mobile kitchens capable of feeding 7,000 people daily.

"Mexico and the United States are nations which are neighbors and friends which should always have solidarity in moments of difficulty," President Vicente Fox said.

European Union spokeswoman Barbara Helfferich said there were some transport problems with aid bound for the United States, noting that a Swedish transport plane filled with food and water-treatment tools had not been able to get landing permission.

Surprise by slow emergency response
    Even as foreign governments offered aid, many people overseas expressed shock at the slow emergency response, poverty and racial inequality they say the images from New Orleans have exposed.

Jurek Kuczkiewicz, in an editorial this week in the Belgian newspaper Le Soir, noted that the United States had been confronted with a "human and economic toll immeasurably heavier than the attacks of 2001 on New York."

"It would not be unreasonable to think that the famous 'war on terror' will suddenly seem trivial with regard to the necessary war on poverty and inequality," he said.

© 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• dgp
    dgp

I agree. Everyone should help Japan.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Shhhhhh! Sam Whiskied and Neck Noose might have something evil to say.

Villabolo

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I agree we should help Japan. Everyone should. Should the United States Government?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I believe Japanese culture is somewhat prideful, the U.S. offered aid after the 1995 Kobe earthquake and Japan would not accept.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Anybody who says we should not aid Japan is a real a-hole. I wouldn't want to be their friend. Sorry to say that about your niece but man...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

She's very young and naive. The thread went on for a while.

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

Let's just crank up the printing presses I'm sure the Japanese would be quite happy with a dollar worth a dime...

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

At this point in time, it's not money they need but manpower (not the strip show). People to help find survivors/bodies, clean up the mess, restore broken utility pipes, shelter those rendered homeless etc.

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

"Something to consider, Sarah, borders and countries are man made. People are people. We are all in this together. An emergency is an emergency. We are one big family, the human race. If family doesn't take care of family, it spells the end of humanity."

So very true. I hate this 'us vs. them' mentality that is present all over the world.

"At this point in time, it's not money they need but manpower (not the strip show)."

I'm sure the Manpower strippers could help too, if they wanted. They have a knack at making ladies happy in tough times.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit