It is *only* an earthquake, not the boogeyman!

by Nathan Natas 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The recent earthquake in Japan will be a tragedy for many hundreds of individuals and families and for the nation of Japan as a whole,

but, as the saying goes, "the end is not yet."

Many people who were raised as JWs, as I was, often find that unexpected claps of thunder or the distant roar of jet engines as planes come in for a landing cause them almost reflexively to think "¿ARMAGEDDON?".

No, not this time.

Not ever.

ARMAGEDDON is the Watchtower boogeyman who will come to get you if you aren't good. But he's not real. He's the Bible-based™ version of Freddy Kruger, who can give you bad dreams but have no effect whatsoever on your reality, unless you let him.

There is no Freddy Kruger.

There is no Michael Meyers.

There is no Armageddon.

Candyman, candyman, candyman.

Peace and be well.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

yeah, my heart sinks whenever there's an earthquake because my wife invariably takes it as a sign, although she seems to deny it. She and her brother, also a Jehovah's witness, had an active conversation about recent Pacific rim earthquakes only yesterday and when news of the quake in Japan hit this morning she had this tiny inflection of excitement in her voice when she told me about it. It seems the greater the magnitude of the quakes, the greater the excitement. My fondest desire is to free her but she's been thoroughly enslaved by the WTBTS.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

So true. Any sign is always a possibility of Armageddon. I remember when Gulf War was going on in 1991 there was talk of prophesy being fulfilled and the end being oh so close. 20 years later and they will be saying Middle East is a sign of the end. To a dooms day cult member, every event is a sign of imminent Armageddon.

• d
    d

I see what you mean.In my KH the witness took the Virgina Tech shooting as a sign.Now I am pretty sure they are taking this earthquake and the Middle East unrest as a sign of end times.

• d
    d

LOL Nickolas.

• seawolf
    seawolf

Funny thing is they'll get their WTBTS wet dream over these things, but I bring those same events up several years later and they get that deer in the headlights look. I honestly think they have to go home and Google it to see wtf I'm talking about.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

One thing thats a certainty is the WTS. doesn't put forth honest and informative information how earthquakes have been occurring

for millions of years on this planet, creating some of the most prominent mountain ranges throughout the world.

I guess its just a decisive matter of putting out information that only backs their END TIMES proclamations, in this instance keeping

people in a state of fearful ignorance has a posturing value attached. $$$

• Scully
    Scully

Nickolas

I guess that's what you see from the dark side of the moon.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I see what you mean.In my KH the witness took the Virgina Tech shooting as a sign.Now I am pretty sure they are taking this earthquake and the Middle East unrest as a sign of end times.

Can you believe the Virginia Tech shooting will have been FOUR YEARS ago this spring?

And 9/11 will be TEN YEARS ago this September?

Hurricane Katrina was what, SIX YEARS ago? And the Berlin Wall came down 22 years ago.

Still no Armageddon.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

"It's caused by the Last Days!!"

Actually, it's caused by tectonic shifting of plates on the earth's crust. At least I think it is. Perhaps science is wrong yet again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit