CNN A look at the ways the world could end

by moomanchu 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Well, she's only got 32,066 posts you can read .... starting here http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/6087/1/NEED-HELP-7000-yrs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Here's a quote from the CNN page:

So how do staunch believers, including those who quit jobs, bail on families and give away possessions in preparation for the end, bounce back if these fateful dates they think will bring massive destruction amount to just another ho-hum day?
    Surprisingly, they don’t all feel duped, DiTommaso says. Some may fall away or slink off to something new, but when your worldview is apocalyptic in nature, a failed doomsday doesn’t leave you easily shaken, he says.
    Instead, what religious people generally do, he says, is write off the end-that-wasn’t as an interpretation hiccup. With deeper study and prayer, they’ll be lucky enough to find another doomsday around the corner.

Sound familiar?

• blondie
    blondie

Strangely, to some here, I never believed the predictions of the WTS when I was a "faithful" jw. I always felt that when the WTS was going beyond what Jesus said.

(Matthew 24:43-44) . . .. 44 On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.

(Luke 12:39-40) . . .. 40 YOU also, keep ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think likely the Son of man is coming."

In 1976 the WTS said this after 1975 did not bring the end. Rarely though does the WTS use these scriptures and not this phrase.

*** w76 7/15 p. 441 par. 17 A Solid Basis for Confidence ***So that true Christians would not be ‘overtaken as thieves,’ Jesus said even to his disciples back there, and to us today: "Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming." Thereafter he said: "Prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming." (Matt. 24:42-44) These clear statements of Jesus indicate that God’s servants will never be given the date of Christ’s "coming" for judgment until it actually takes place. In fact, it will come at what appears to them an ‘unlikely’ time.—Luke 12:39, 40.

I call this the Heisenberg principle of bible predictions.

PS minimus has 34995 posts, and gaining.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit