Check this out: "I am an Ex Mormon"

by DanaBug 27 Replies latest social current

• TD
    TD

The similarities are striking but so are some of the differences.

I don't have any more use for the Mormons than I do for the JW's, but as someone who grew up with them, played with them, went to school with them, dated them, worked with and for them, I've noticed:

Mormons have a much more positive attitude towards bringing children into the word than JW's. This shows is the fact that they understand far better than JW's how to raise children in the faith via church programs geared towards children, seminary classes for older children, family involvement and recreation. The attrition rate among JW youth is horrendous. But do they ever do anything meaningful about it?

The Mormons have a far better understanding of the fact that you must work with human nature and not against it. There's an old adage about "All work and no play." The Mormon church has actually rented the Anaheim Disneyland for it's members to get together. Can you imagine the JW's ever doing anything remotely similar?

The Mormons view college education as a gift from God.

In the same vein, the Mormons value real world managerial skills. Men who rise to positions of prominence in the church are men who've proven themselves to be effective business and civic leaders.

The Mormons value self sufficiency and fiscal responsibility. Members are encouraged to live debt free and save for retirement.

As high control groups go, they are far more benign than JW's. The JW's could learn a lot from them. ---But they won't...

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Thanks for that info, TD. I know little about Mormons, but I have noticed how family oriented they are.

• Cfldjamie
    Cfldjamie

Did you know that some of the early literature of JWs, in particular the Divine Plan of the Ages was designed by Francis Darter.

Francis Darter was also an early Mormon founder and writer.

He also collaberated one Pyramidology books for both the Mormons and Pastor Russell.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Whoa. No, I didn't know that either.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I give the Mormons one....... .

I give JWs three....... and then a .........

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Another ex-mormon video, this one was uploaded about a month ago ... some of you will certainly identify and have given advice just like their experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3JYFX1Czg&feature=relmfu

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

These are great!

• godrulz
    godrulz

JWs and Mormons are the largest pseudo-Christian cults founded by mere mortals, Russell and Smith. They are generally fine people and less argumentative than JWs. They also don't have as much of an us vs them mentality and can befriended, unlike Pharisaical JWs. Their faith is more science fiction than JWs. Since they believe Jesus is Jehovah (but not the biblical concept), it may be easier to reach them if the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith as Prophet can be undermined. JWs are to be commended for just having the Bible (and WT literature, drat), unlike the Scriptures of Mormonism and modern prophet revelation. Pros and cons....

I am excited people are finding freedom from these groups, but if it leads to a rejection of Bible, God, Christ, they are not further ahead from an eternal perspective. Thankfully, many do become biblical Christians who leave JW and Mormonism. This is the desire of concerned Christians in counter-cult ministry, whether they were once personally involved or not.

Pray, pray, pray; plead, plead, preach.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit