Bethel Heavy...How is this determined?

by LostGeneration 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I've read the term "Bethel Heavy" here and heard it once and a while when I was a JW. As someone who has never even visited Bethel, I was wondering if a few of you can fill me in on the details.

I know of course this is an unofficial title, but what is the main factor in reaching this status? Is it mainly given to those who head certain departments, or even work high up in certain departments? Is is mainly applied to those who have been there for a certain number of years? Mainly given to those who are probably going to stay for life unless they are kicked out?

How do the "regular" bethelites view the "heavy"? More respect for them? Less?

Are the heavys just the best brown-nosers? Do they have any actual influence on the GB? Are partakers more likely to become a heavy?

All comments appreciated.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The heavies are the ones who can get you hired and/or fired. They have influence and power.

It does not refer to their seniority or their speaking ability.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think anyone from bethel who travels about giving talks is called a bethel heavy.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It seems to me that one would have to master the balance of audacity and ass-kissing to reach the "heavy" designation. If you're JUST a kiss-ass you are only going to rise so far and if you come across as too ambitious then you're going to be put in your place. It's like the "reaching out" dilemma that local guys have to go through. If you reach out too aggressively you'll never get anywhere because they'll think you're haughty but if you don't do anything to show you want it you won't get anywhere either.

Jeez, after saying all that I think I've talked myself into the conclusion that becoming a heavy is probably just dumb luck.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

it means that the bethelite if fat.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Here are some disconnected thoughts on this, for the benefit of those who were never at Bethel. Hopefully, some of these details will make sense.

-- Many long-time Bethelites are not "heavies".

-- Many good Bethel speakers are not "heavies".

-- Among the departments that one would not want to screw around with, if he or she desires to climb the ladder: Operations Office (previously the Bethel Office), Personnel Committee, Service Department, Treasurer's Office, Convention Office

-- The Home Overseer may not be a heavy, but he can make your life miserable. His sphere of influence does not extend beyond Bethel.

• Alfred
    Alfred

it means that the Society put them through law school...

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

btt for other ex-bethelites to comment.

-- Among the departments that one would not want to screw around with, if he or she desires to climb the ladder: Operations Office (previously the Bethel Office), Personnel Committee, Service Department, Treasurer's Office, Convention Office

So would screwing around with mean just being bad worker? Questioning authority? Is not being a "yes man" enough to get you marked by these heavies?

Or say you catch the eye of someone who wants you to come work in their department. Are you moved based on which "heavy" has more authority?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

My guess is that the heavies play ball with each other much like status-group leaders in any other situation. "You want one of my boys moved to your department, I get to pick one of your boys for my own." If you don't have that kind of rapport with another heavy, then perhaps you're not so heavy yourself.

I'd love to read more insider stuff from more recent years. Randy's memoirs from the 70s on freeminds are interesting but I'd like to think we can do better than "Johnny the Bethelite" here in the 21st century.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

So would screwing around with mean just being bad worker? Questioning authority? Is not being a "yes man" enough to get you marked by these heavies?

Good question. Let me put it this way: Obey the first time or suffer the consequences (unless you've got a heavy on your side who who intervene).

Or say you catch the eye of someone who wants you to come work in their department. Are you moved based on which "heavy" has more authority?

Like most large corporations, there are many layers of politics. Many decisions are based upon politics and personality, regardless of any written rules. So, yes, if a heavy decides to give a person a certain job, he can often make it happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit