How do you explain JW family members to an Non-JW Child?

by JAG913 13 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I have 2 kids. I started telling the oldest at about 4 and 5 years old that we celebrate all birthdays and holidays. Aunt & Grandpa do not. They go to the Kingdom Hall and do everything the people there tell them to do. One of those things is to not celebrate birthdays and holidays. They are like zombies, doing whatever is told. Kids understand Zombies.

One time, an Aunt came down to attend the Memorial near me. She was trying to make it into a special celebration that she went to. My oldest was in the 1st grade or so. "I said, Aunt X celebrates Jesus death and Last Supper; and they observe this once a year. Other churches like our neighbors celebrates this each and every week by taking a sacriment. The Bible and Jesus did not say exactly how often to celebrate the Last Supper. Aunt X's Kingdom Hall does it once a year and our neighbor's church thinks it's so important they do it once a week."

I've had the requests to take our children to the Kingdom Hall. I've always refused to allow them to go.

I innoculated the kids by telling them that if anyone wants to ever talk about God, Jehovah, Bible, Jesus, Kingdom Hall, Paradise, etc....STOP and say, "I've got to have my mommy & daddy with me when we talk about this kind of stuff." Then, I told the JWs of my rule. They are too scared to now ever try to talk with them.

Now that the oldest is in the double-digits...I freely use the words, "Cult", "Mind control", "Brainwashing", etc. You better believe I will have them completely educated on cults by the time they are 15.

Most importantly, I changed my will in case of my death. No way my kids will end up like Michael Jackson's...with a damned Kingdumb Melodies song book in their hands and pedophiles slobbering on them.

Skeeter

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Teach your kids critical thinking skills.

The WT isn't the only cult wanting to recruit them. There is no point warning them off the Dubs, them losing them to the Moonies.

Once they have a good grasp of these skills, let them associate with your Dub family. Because they have never been Dubs, they will be seen as potential recruits which gives your kids an opportunity to practice their skills on people who really need to think about the crap they are spouting.

• Perry
    Perry

The explanation is really very simple. Jehovah's Witnesses don't know Jesus. If they did, they wouldn't shun their children, grandchildren etc. That is a simple yet true explanation that satisfies my young son's curiosity about his grandparents.

Hope that helps.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

bttt for a friend who asked this question,

specifically how to explain to a child why their grandparents don't celebrate birthdays and Xmas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit