Volunteering

by MrFreeze 20 Replies latest jw friends

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Does anybody here do any volunteer work? I mean real volunteer work. Not the JW "knock on doors and annoy people" kind of volunteer work. I was talking with a friend of mine and they said that they just signed up to help tudor kids on Saturdays. It got me to thinking maybe I should do something like that as well. It would be nice to lend a helping hand to people who need it, especially kids. I just wonder what I could actually offer.

For all of you who do volunteer, what programs do you volunteer in?

• Joliette
    Joliette

I did volunteer work in high school and I want to return to doing some volunteer work.

• cofty
    cofty

I coach football (soccer)

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I used to help my xwife do the dishes

• d
    d

I volunteered once at an old folks home back in 2007.I also volunteered at a guild theater in the summer of 2010

• wasblind
    wasblind

All through my daughters school years I stayed on the volunteer list in the front office

and joined the PTSA, even if you don't have a child in school they can use volunteers,

Hospitals can always use volunteers

• Satanus
    Satanus

I helped a few street people and an addict. Not just w money, but w time and effort in other ways. Wouldn't do it again, as i'm not qualified and it only did a little bit of good.

S

• LV101
    LV101

Yes - only through woman's organization. we help homeless teens on street --- help collect/donate shoes for the children in schools, help donate to the salvation army alittle and privately. some kids have never owned a brand new pair of shoes. i feel i should really be working in the orphanage but have to toughen up a tad plus you catch every sickness until you build up your immunity. i don't feel i'm contributing privately and this bothers me but it's time consuming w/all the events to raise money and stressful w/the hierarchy - women!!!

• Bystander39
    Bystander39

I've volunteered at a park - doing office things, not outdoors stuff. Occasional help at an elementary school.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I do legal volunteer work now. One of the defining moments of my childhood was when I was a teenage candy striper. It was a great reference and even provided scholarships for nursing. I wanted to show off my cute uniform to the Ministry School. My mom explained to me i would be heavily criticized. When I went to the grocery store, everyone was all over me, commending me. I was so tired of the bizarre Witness stances. So exhausted.

It meant so much to me and the effect of the uniform and hat should be stressed. My father punished me for being worldy and bad. I had to tell the volunteer coordinator that I had to quit b/c my father forbade me. It was so embarassing. Other girls didn't ensure this crap. Why me. It truly was degrading. I saw nothing wrong with helping nurses care for the sick. Rather, it seemed to be something which Jesus would like. He may like it but the Witnesses.

Of all events, this one is so bad. He did not break my spirit but he certainly came close.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit