New member - my story

by Millions 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Millions
    Millions

Very very true Mad Sweeney, it's so natural to gravitate towards doing the opposite of what you have been ordered to do for years. Getting a handle on things and regaining control is crucial as you say. Once you realise that what you do outside of the cult no longer concerns them or would have any impact on them, you can calm down and start working out what you actually like doing. I think it's all about looking forward rather than staying mired in the past, which is admittedly not always easy, but it gets better each day that I do something or make a choice or think for myself.

Glad to be here.

'Millions Now Living Will Never Live' - unless they too get out of the cult

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Welcome to the board!

I also used to notice people going into town to work every morning, I used to think, 'These people aren't witnesses, yet they have a life and a purpose and dignity and fulfilment!'

This was part of my awakening process as well. JWs are taught that people outside of the religion live a hopeless life full of empty activities and empty pursuits. In my experience, that is very far from the truth. I've even been told that if meet a happy non-witness that they are probably on a mood altering drug and if you meet one that appears to be fullfilled its just a lie to cover up how sad their life really is.

You are right, when you step away from the Witnesses for a few meetings and just observe people in general, one will start to realize that what we were taught is not the truth and borderline crazy.

• wobble
    wobble

Welcome Millions !

Your intro, and video were very interesting, you write well and swear well, sorry I mean speak well.

Someone observed on here a while ago, that it is the intelligent ones that leave the WT, it makes me feel sorry for the ones still trapped in the cult, the quality of Public speaking and of teaching is going down and down, and it was never high in the first place !

Big welcome again, I am English, I hate the label "Brit", I have lived all my life in Kent, I was born in, and stuck in, for 58 bloody years ! I left in Spring 2008. Just faded, not DF or DA.

Welcome again, and I look forward to more good stuff from you, all the best for your future, revel in your freedom !

• Millions
    Millions

shopaholic I have been amazed how much people get up to in their lives out here, far from the sad & lonely existence or hedonistic excesses the WT claims about people in the world. And you are so right, all it takes is to break the flow of misinformation for a few weeks, stop the crap going in, and you start to wake up. If it was true and right, that wouldn't be the case at all, you would long for it.

wobble yes I know, I need my mouth washing out with soap. Another effect of life in the cult, once you get free you start making up for lost time! Trying to improve though, not exactly advisable in every situation in life to be turning the air blue! 58 years man, jeeesus, they got you good. Well bloody well done for getting out, the rest of your life will make up for the past. Kent was my neck of the woods as well, down on the coast. I'm still living where I was assigned to from MTS though, after 11 years I am finally starting to enjoy the place! There is more to your town than the places where the brothers live...

• zoiks
    zoiks

Welcome to the board, Millions! Thanks for sharing your story

• boyzone
    boyzone

Yeah welcome Millions great to hear your story, thank you for taking the time to share it. I too am disassociated, in 2007 after 21 years a sister bringing up 4 kids in the Org. Like you I went through all the emotions you so well described. Having come out the other side my life has never been sweeter or happier. I have TRUE friends, a wonderful family life and an ongoing education. At the age of 46 life has finally come good - without them!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Millions--Great video. The Christmas tree was a nice touch. LOL

The points you addressed in the video were thoughts I had when I started my fade, although I didn't realize I was actually fading yet.

A CO talked about the Tsunami that hit SE Asia. He said that local witnesses had gone inland for service and were saved. The only witnesses killed had been a Swedish couple on vacation. He said that should be a lesson for us. I was so incredibly enraged by such a comment, I couldn't let it go. I asked others if the lesson was that we shouldn't go on vacation and sleep in with our husbands/wives. Blank f**king looks. I told them that I knew someone that had died in a car accident while working in service, perhaps that too should be a lesson. Startled looks.

Elders would stop by to "encourage" me, and I'd ask them: why if I shouldn't blame jehovah for bad things, should I thank him for the good? If I shouldn't expect answers to my prayers, why should I be grateful when they were answered? Perhaps they aren't being answered at all, and things just worked out this time. Blank looks.

So you can see, I really appreciated that video!

Even on the days where you are gripped by fear that it might be true and that you have got it wrong, it is a very quick transition to telling yourself not to be stupid and that it's the old conditioning surfacing again.

I really hate that part! Yet I deal with it like you do. I also think that I don't believe in an afterlife anymore--or resurrection---or any of it. So if it turns out to be true--no biggie--I'm expecting to die anyway.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Millions--Great video. The Christmas tree was a nice touch. LOL

The points you addressed in the video were thoughts I had when I started my fade, although I didn't realize I was actually fading yet.

A CO talked about the Tsunami that hit SE Asia. He said that local witnesses had gone inland for service and were saved. The only witnesses killed had been a Swedish couple on vacation. He said that should be a lesson for us. I was so incredibly enraged by such a comment, I couldn't let it go. I asked others if the lesson was that we shouldn't go on vacation and sleep in with our husbands/wives. Blank f**king looks. I told them that I knew someone that had died in a car accident while working in service, perhaps that too should be a lesson. Startled looks.

Elders would stop by to "encourage" me, and I'd ask them: why if I shouldn't blame jehovah for bad things, should I thank him for the good? If I shouldn't expect answers to my prayers, why should I be grateful when they were answered? Perhaps they aren't being answered at all, and things just worked out this time. Blank looks.

So you can see, I really appreciated that video!

Even on the days where you are gripped by fear that it might be true and that you have got it wrong, it is a very quick transition to telling yourself not to be stupid and that it's the old conditioning surfacing again.

I really hate that part! Yet I deal with it like you do. I also think that I don't believe in an afterlife anymore--or resurrection---or any of it. So if it turns out to be true--no biggie--I'm expecting to die anyway.

• infpalex
    infpalex

Welcome Millions... I'm new to this website as well.

It is an encouraging place to be. To find people the same as you after not being allow to be "you" at all for so many years is refreshing.

I enjoyed many of your observations and have had many of the same ones myself! Can't wait to get to know you all more!

InfpAlex

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

welcome Millions Brit here as well, checked out your You Tube stuff and found it very informative I too desire to have the info they have on me , I'll drop you a PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit