New ex-JW memoir coming out...

by brizzzy 65 Replies latest jw friends

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Hi there,

I don't post a ton here because I'm kinda shy. But I've been lurking for a few years and registered for a little over a year. Anyway, my book is coming out on April 26th, and I would love it if anybody interested would pick up a copy to check it out. It's called "The Girl's Guide to Homelessness" and it's available for pre-order now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0373892357?tag=thegirsguitoh-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0373892357&adid=038EZ4BJPAM7BCSZE5MQ&

That's the Amazon link (which is currently the most affordable, I believe, but it's also available for preorder at B&N, Borders, IndieBound, and Indigo-Chapters if you're in Canada, if you prefer one of those retailers).

"The Girl's Guide to Homelessness" cover

About a third of the book deals with growing up fourth-generation JW and the rest details my disassociation, homelessness, etc., and the impact the familial shunning made. There are also several references back to the effect of the cult on my day-to-day life, being in relationships, etc. etc. Even when I wasn't yet "homeless", I still never really felt like I had a home or a true family, growing up as a JW.

There's been a wide variety of media interest surrounding the book and I've been in the news a few times leading up to the memoir's release. Several very reputable talk shows have expressed interest, so I'm crossing my fingers that it takes off and reaches a pretty wide audience. Because it's not specifically marketed as a JW memoir, and also touches on broader themes such as abuse, poverty, etc., I'm hoping that maybe it'll introduce JW subject matter to wider audiences who don't know a ton about JWs or cults and otherwise may have considered them "mostly harmless, if a bit annoying".

Advance Reader Copies went out a few weeks ago and have thus far garnered positive reviews, so I'm quite pleased, as before this I never considered myself a "writer" and was nervous when asked to write a book. So far, so good, though.

Anyway, I promise not to post about it again here for at least the next two months, so as not to be spammy or anything, but I'm awfully excited about the book going up for presale, and would be stoked and honored if you guys and gals would check it out!

Thanks

~Bri

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

From one writer to another, congratulations on your accomplishment! I hope it goes well.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

wow, that sounds like an interesting book, i'll check it out. im sorry you had such a bad experience, i hope people can be helped by your book. good luck.

• d
    d

Good luck with your book

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

i'd love to check it out.

Tell your publisher we want it on the Kindle.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Congrats, Brizzzy~!! How exciting!!

Keep us posted about media coverage and anything other updates.

-Aude.

• clarity
    clarity

Brizzy, good for you, you should be proud of yourself!

I'd love to read your book. Looking forward to hearing from you more often.

clarity

• sherah
    sherah

Congratulations on your book! I'll check it out.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Thank you so much, guys! @maninthemiddle, I'm pretty positive it'll be coming out as an e-book for the Nook and Kindle and everything as well :)

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Thank you so much, guys! @maninthemiddle, I'm pretty positive it'll be coming out as an e-book for the Nook and Kindle and everything as well :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit