Women can't face the audience from platform? Is this in writing?

by InterestedOne 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I just read the thread about women & men waking up etc. and saw a post saying women can't face the audience from the platform. I thought, hmm yeah, now that I think about it, they're always looking sideways, like toward the other woman in the role-playing, or if they're being interviewed, they look toward the guy at the podium. Is there some JW rule book that actually contains this policy in writing? I would be curious to read it.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was told that it's because women aren't to teach men.

The problem with what they are doing is that they are STILL teaching men, just not looking at them or speaking directly to them.

But the men do learn.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I have seen sisters face the audience. Recently a sister did her talk pretending to be on the phone. She was alone on the stage, facing the audience, speaking into the phone. Someone in the audience pretended to be the other person, (with a mic) Has anyone else seen this kind of thing? It's not the first time here.

• blondie
    blondie

Even when she was on the platform, GrandmaJones, this sister was facing "her" audience. Sisters are not allowed to talk directly to the audience facing the platform; it would be considered teaching in the congregation. So from the start of sisters giving talks it was always to an audience of one or two (women or children or perhaps someone posing as a non-jw man).

The school was originally designed to teach men to give public talks (1943); it wasn't until 1959 about that women became part of the school. It is interesting to note that the purpose of the school was not to train people in the d2d work.

• White Dove
    White Dove

So that's why I sucked at the doors so badly.

Never learned a thing from those demos.

The people at the door never followed the script shown on the platform.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

IO, women not teaching is from 1 Timothy 2:12 and 1 Cor. 14:34,35. Of course, they ignore Priscilla, Phoebe, Debra, etc. I don't remember seeing anything in print about why demonstrations don't qualify as teaching though.

• blondie
    blondie

Demonstrations are done under the direction of a brother so the teaching comes from him (per the WTS).

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I was aware that there were some verses in Paul's letters about women not teaching, but I was wondering if the WT had something like the Elders' manual or a set of guidelines to make sure everyone was in "unity" about how to apply those verses. I'm curious how all the congregations seem to know what to do. Is it all word of mouth, or are there printed instructions from the WT explaining what is and is not allowed regarding women on the platform?

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Odd, I didn't find any reference to either of these scriptures in the OD book or to sisters teaching. I've never seen anything that explicitly says sisters have to face each other when participating in the school. I think that's just how it's done; well, how else would they do it? And sidenote, a sister can read on stage for the Watchtower study if no qualified brothers are attending.

Here's what I found:

*** w64 4/1 p. 208 par. 9 Her Head Covering and Congregational Activities ***

No head covering is required for sisters taking part in demonstrations, relating experiences, or when handling student talks as demonstrations at the congregation’s ministry school. In such cases the sisters are not presiding in the congregation. They are not trying to instruct the brothers or direct them in what they should do, and so, in not wearing a head covering, there is no violation of Scriptural principle. However, the sisters do greatly contribute to the upbuilding of all in the congregation. For that reason a sister should never underestimate the benefit of any part she may have in the program, either by giving an experience or sharing in a demonstration. (This article is beyond ridiculous, especially when you read all the way to par 19)

*** w61 6/1 p. 352 Questions From Readers ***
    ? Are sisters required to wear a head covering when giving the third and fourth student talks in the theocratic ministry school?—D. H., United States.

No, it is not necessary for sisters to wear a head covering when giving these talks. They are not teaching dedicated males but only giving demonstrations of their own teaching ability for the purpose of being counseled. Since this is the purpose of their giving these talks and since the school is under male supervision, sisters are not required to wear a head covering. For similar reasons they would not be required to wear a head covering when taking part in service meeting demonstrations.

*** w73 4/15 p. 255 Questions From Readers ***
    ? Why are women allowed to speak up at the meetings of Jehovah’s Christian witnesses even though 1 Corinthians 14:34 says that “it is not permitted for them to speak”?—U.S.A.

The application of the apostle Paul’s inspired command should be understood in the light of the context. When Paul wrote, the meetings of the congregation at Corinth, including those meetings where unbelievers were present, lacked order. More than one person at a time would be prophesying or speaking in a tongue. (1 Cor. 14:22-32) Evidently some women there would raise challenging questions and dispute with men appointed to teach the congregation. Thus these women were actually assuming the position of teachers and ignoring the position of headship assigned to the man.—1 Cor. 11:3.

Correcting the situation, Paul called attention to the fact that “God is a God, not of disorder, but of peace.” (1 Cor. 14:33) Respecting women, he wrote: “Let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection, even as the Law says. If, then, they want to learn something, let them question their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation.” (1 Cor. 14:34, 35) This admonition is in agreement with Paul’s later words in his first letter to Timothy: “Let a woman learn in silence with full submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence.”—1 Tim. 2:11, 12.

Accordingly, the command for women not to speak applied whenever such speaking had the unwholesome effect of undermining the authority of the men in the congregation. That it did not rule out all speaking on the part of women is evident from 1 Corinthians 11:5: “Every woman that prays or prophesies with her head uncovered shames her head.” However, it would have been disgraceful for women to raise challenging questions or to lift themselves up above the men assembled and begin instructing them. For them to do such things would also have brought reproach on their husbands.

In keeping with the apostolic pattern, women in the congregations of Jehovah’s Christian witnesses do not teach the congregation at public meetings. They do not exercise authority over men. Any speaking they do is under the direction of men appointed to oversee the meeting. Thus at no time does their speaking contradict the authority men exercise in the congregation.

And here's a real gem! (a little off topic)

*** w51 9/1 p. 543 Questions From Readers ***
    ? Is it necessary for a woman to cover her head when conducting a home Bible study? When such a covering is or is not required is causing much discussion in our company.—P. W., Ohio.

After 10 paragraphs discussing it: Knowing now the principles involved, let us show Christian maturity and apply these for ourselves, conscientiously, and not have to ask others on every imaginable situation. The Society would soon be compiling a set of regulations as voluminous as the Talmud if it endeavored to prescribe specific rules for all the varying cases. In fallen man under Satan’s influence there is always the tendency to substitute rules for principles. It is so much easier to conform the conduct to a rule than to make a principle inform the whole life. Moses prescribed rules; Christ inculcated principles. Rules are for children; principles for men and women mature in Christian growth. So now show maturity in applying the principles herein given regarding head-covering, making your decisions conscientiously, and you will not properly be criticized by others.

Guess things change in 60 years!

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Thank you DanaBug! I appreciate the info.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit