Get to the point!

by Mr. Falcon 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Lost Generation - The whole "we're not converting you" is one of boldest lies I've ever heard. I could have some respect at least if we just up front told them the truth concerning this.

darth frosty - Your logic is devastating. That's the greatest line ever.

Quendi - Thank you for pointing out this important observation. So many Witnesses that I've gone to the door with have no idea how to assess their surroundings when at a door. Completely incapable of adapting to meet the interests of the householder. It's not that hard; just look around. I've been to the door with elders who regardless of who answers the door, will mumble a 20-second introduction that is completely unintelligible. But yet these men get up on stage every Service Meeting and "teach" how to be an effective minister. I'd sooner learn heart surgery from a blind man.

AGuest - I dig what you are saying. I too feel that a relationship with God is personal, and the Holy Scriptures is His personal message to YOU. Why my belief or trust in God has to be manifested by busily knocking on empty houses and meticulously reporting field service time is beyond me.

elderelite - So many JWs ramble on pointlessly at the door while the householder taps their foot impatiently. "Good morning, do you ever think about whether Adam and Eve were real?" umm, no. I was actually thinking about why someone is banging on my door on a Saturday morning.

snakeface - Their consciences are telling them they are doing something not normal and that they are bothering their neighbors and alienating them. This makes sense to me why I can be sitting in a car group of JWs who actually maybe are intelligent, thoughtful people but who will prattle on about obviously made-up experiences they read about or gush over how generous the Faithful & Discreet Slave is, as if we owe all our salvation to some group of men who own Brooklyn real-estate. They know it's crazy, but have to justify their investment of their lives into it.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I too feel that a relationship with God is personal, and the Holy Scriptures is His personal message to YOU.

Ummmmm... we are in agreement as to the first part, dear Mr. F (peace to you!), but absolutely not as to the second. Both are beyond the scope of this post, though, so clarification will have to wait for another "bat" post at some other "bat" time.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• snakeface
    snakeface

AGuest, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Quendi, I've always felt the same way as you, regarding being alert for clues about the householder and to listen. Years ago there was an Awake on Birth Control, which a young publisher proceeded to present to a householder in her 80's. Another time, an elderly householder said he was in pain, had health problems, poor eyesight and so on. The elder simply told him that everyone has problems, we can't sit around dwelling on them but instead we need to fill our minds with the positive upbuilding articles in these magazines....

And what about the times we'd go to a door and realize the householder (or return visit) had company? Or were in the middle of eating a meal? I'd always quickly acknowledge I came at a bad time and then I'd leave. Other publishers would go on and on with a lenghty presentation and even tell the householder to share the message with their visitors.

We can add to the list the householders who obviously had been sleeping. Some publishers wouldn't care. While walking away from the door they'd even be saying things to each other - which the householder can hear - accusing the householder of staying out late drinking and partying. How do they know what the householder was doing? Maybe they're working two jobs to pay off hospital bills. Maybe they were up all night taking care of an ill loved one. Or maybe they just want to sleep in. Who knows? No explanation is needed. Deal with things as you can see they are.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

misery - Yeah, nowadays I'm just happy if they politely refuse or take the magazines out of pity. If they take the magazines, then I never write down their names or go back. Sometimes (if I work alone, which is more and more becoming a preferred method of my ministry) I will offer the magazines as if I'm just doing some community service. For instance, say it is an Awake! on Internet dangers. I will knock on the door and go "Hi, I'm so-and-so, I'm stopping through the neighboorhood handing out useful information for families about internet dangers for our kids. Here's your copy. Good day." Then I walk away before they can refuse. Mr. Falcon 1, householder 0.

AGuest - my apologies. The claim about the Bible was actually what I believe, which is obviously not your personal belief, which I respect.

snakeface - I agree with you about how a lot of JWs are oblivious, if not downright rude, when taking up a person's time at THEIR OWN HOUSE. Cold wind all blowing, 2 huge dogs going nuts, baby all crying, phone ringing in background, etc, and the JW just keeps to the script. True determination. And I get so pissed off when JWs will make judgmental comments about the householder based on the most trivial of details. Guy has a goatee? Obviously he is a drug-addict who spends every night rummaging through dumpsters for half-smoked crack rocks. Woman has black-dyed hair? Obviously a witch. Or they assume that people are wholly ignorant and no nothing about the Bible or "spiritual matters." This bothers me perhaps most of all because I would pay CA$H MONEY to see one of these JWs go toe-to-toe with a well-educated "apostate" who has good debating skills. They wouldn't last 45 seconds.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Absolutely NO worries, dear Mr. Falcon! Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

How can anybody claim to know what God was trying to say with the Bible? Seems rather egotistical to think we can even come close.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

I was always pretty good at the ministry, probably because I never read the KM and didn't bore people with inane and fallible tripe from the Watchtower. Leaving a WT with someone is as good as asking "Will you throw this away for me?" I showed people scriptures and offered to study the Bible with them. Of course, actually being familiar with the Bible helped, as I was usually competent to answer questions people had from the Bible, instead of digging out some canned answer written on a grade-school level. I've never had a door slammed in my face, never been yelled at or cussed out (except a few times I had to hear about something stupid some other JW said or did, but we always parted as friends). I loved the ministry except for always feeling like I had to apologize for and clean up the messes of ignorant, nasty, judgmental, stupid JWs that are the majority. I rarely identified myself as a JW, because they are an embarrassment. I had several people tell me things to the effect of "You're the first JW to make any sense" or "You're the first JW that doesn't seem crazy." No wonder they want me silenced: Crazy nonsense is their bread and butter.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    How can anybody claim to know what God was trying to say with the Bible?

The Most Holy One of Israel wasn't trying to say anything with the Bible, dear Mr. F (the other Mr. F - and peace to you!). He didn't compile the Bible, dear one. Credit for that must be given to a certain group of men living around 4th century C.E.

When God had/has something to say, He did/does it through a prophet or through His Son. Since the Son completely replaced the Prophets, he (the Son) is really the only One who can claim to know... and tell US... what the Most Holy One of Israel said/meant then... and is saying/meant, now.

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was petrified at the doors. Just getting through the short presentation was a victory for me.

I really felt for people at the doors and was embarrassed to be there bothering them.

I only did it because of others saying that it was the right thing to do.

My heart wasn't in it, but boy I sure did want a study so I could be sure of being good at something.

I sucked at it so badly that you'd laugh me off the porch, or feel sorry for me.

When they'd say they had their own religion, I'd get a twinge of curiosity as to what it was like.

I envied their free Saturdays: cartoons, yard work, watching TV, relaxing, playing in the yard, going on vacation, trip to the beach...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit