Bible Misconceptions

by Mat 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TD
    TD

Satanus,

I think it's more of a historicist interpretation of the OT. I took "real people" to mean that it was relevant first and foremost to the lives of the people at the time.

• Satanus
    Satanus

My views on the ot may well be similar to those expressed in the video. However, i already expressed my disinterest in listening further to it. The bible is jewish religion. I'll leave it to them.

Robbie, you're quite religious. I'm not. I'm kind of antireligious. Sorry.

S

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome to JWN, Mat! I'll have to watch your video later when I have a bit more time. I need a faster link at home.

In the meantime, can you tell us a bit about yourself?

• whereami
    whereami

Thanks.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I like it, thanks.

• Mat
    Mat

Hi, about me? Erm, I'm still a bit suspicious that I might be recognised by members of my (former) congregation so I'd like to keep my identity vague, but I was a JW over 5 years ago. I'm in the UK, and even though I don't believe in it, I still find the Bible a fascinating book that is worth exposing as the non-guidence for mankind that it is (as comes over in the video). Thanks for the welcomes and responses, I'll maybe say more in private messages, but as for my beliefs, I'm a supporter of books like The Bible Unearthed, Who Wrote The Bible, The Jesus Mysteries, and The Jesus Puzzle.

I did try X-JW groups that were Christian at first, but found them a bit cultish. Also worth reading Combating Cult Mind Control, and Crisis Of Conscience (but I was not a fan of In Search Of Christian Freedom as it seemed to have a fundamentalist Christian agenda).

Also trying to read books by Mark S Smith but finding their style a bit difficult.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Robbie, you're quite religious. I'm not. I'm kind of antireligious. Sorry.

Funny you should think that. I was just tellling my husband last night that I believe I have become a secular Jew. I didn't even celebrate Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur last year. It looks like Purim will go right past me this weekend. I do not even think I will clear out all the chometz for Passover. If I feel like celebrating, I will. If not, then I wont. I guess I chose the Reform movement for a reason. At its core, the Reform movement challenged the belief that the laws and rituals taken from the Bible required strict observance in the modern world.

I was just being a smart ass earlier and apologize to you for upsetting you.

Sometimes it seems you don't like Jews very much. I was hoping I was the exception.

Robyn

• Perry
    Perry
    Please share your thoughts about it. Thanks:

She sounds like just another highly educated unsaved bible teacher. Verbosity extraordinaire.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Rob

I can rip into christianity, or the bible, or some aspect of american politics and few people take it personally. However, no matter what i say now, the next time i say something critical about jewish religion or something connected to it, i'll get this same thing, again. So, what can i say, now? I just want what i see to be best for the most people, and religion or religious clanishness isn't one of them, imo.

However, judaism must have something that you need. I haven't criticised you personally for that. I think that you may be a little more zealous about it, because you're new in it.

S

• Robdar
    Robdar

Satanus,

I never understood just how misunderstood and reviled the Jews are until I became one. People who were once my friends and/or very good neighbors and acquaintances have disappeared. Some have said very awful things to me. Many of them think that I must be rolling in money funded to me by a secret society hell bent on destroying the world as we know it. It has made me a little sensitive and I, again, apologize to you if I seem overly zealous in explaining the tenets of Judaism while trying to protect my fellow Jews.

It has been a very difficult day here today and I am feeling a little odd and depressed. I regret any misunderstandings that have occurred between us.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit