Female Watchtower Lawyers and submission

by Lady Lee 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dgp
    dgp

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech".

Interesting. "Congress" shall make no laws. What about "groups of men" taking your family and friends away if you dare exercise "freedom of speech"? I suppose that is OK, because those are certainly not laws, as in "no one is forced to obey them", and then being told that you have to shun your family is one of the finer examples of "the free exercise" of religion.

I wonder if this included any Native American religions? No? Or that problem never came up because the Indians lived outside of American society anyways?

My repeat question. If I claimed to be a follower of the ancient Aztec religion, and said "my religion" demands that I sacrify virgins to the gods, would Congress not prohibit "the free exercise" of my religion?

This is hijacking the thread, but some points need to be made.

Band, you'd find the Mexican Reformation and Guerra Cristera very interesting.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LADY LEE:

Somehow I have a problem thinking they believe in women's rights or equality.

I would never have tolerated what you tolerated teaching sign language and then being 'worried' when you had to correct them. You are 'correcting' them because they were signing incorrectly. It isn't on a personal level. How could an intelligent person get upset over that??? I certainly was NOT 'submissive' to anybody - in the hall or anywhere else. I am no giddy female. I speak politely and say what I have to and if somebody doesn't like it - well too bad.

The scripture about the 'capable wife' in the bible, surely does not describe the men in the JW religion. The men back in ancient Israel must have been more manly. They wanted and expected their wives to be capable. They weren't threatened by it like the pathetic men in the JW religion.

• blondie
    blondie
    I wonder if this included any Native American religions? No? Or that problem never came up because the Indians lived outside of American society anyways?

Theoretically, but religions that were/are not popular have had to establish their rights legally, i.e., Jews and Catholics and jws. The Constitution/Bill of Rights has been defined by people/corporations bringing suit in a lower court and following it up the chain of courts to the Supreme Court. Once established there, it becomes precedent.

• blondie
    blondie

Women were not allowed to vote throughout the US until 1920. This chart shows where women could vote and for what before 1920.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_US_Suffrage,_1920.svg

File:Map of US Suffrage, 1920.svg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search File:Map of US Suffrage, 1920.svg Full resolution‎ (SVG file, nominally 959 × 593 pixels, file size: 73 KB)

This image rendered as PNG in other sizes: 200px, 500px, 1000px, 2000px.

This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons . Information from its description page there is shown below.
    Commons is a freely licensed media file repository. You can help.

This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons

DescriptionMap of US Suffrage, 1920.svg English: Map of Women's Suffrage laws in various states of the US immediately before passage of the Nineteenth Amendment in 1920 Full suffrage Presidential suffrage Primary suffrage Municipal suffrage School, bond, or tax suffrage Municipal suffrage in some cities Primary suffrage in some cities No suffrage
    Date

21 January 2009 ( 2009-01-21 )

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

(marking for later)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit