thinking of returning ? read this first

by Evidently Apostate 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

my wife was telling me about her friends mother that had faded for seven years and was living with a man. she married him and talked to the elders about returning to the kh. they told her they had to disfellowshipped her. so now she sits next to her daughter in silence at the hall living out her sentence.

I know this bothers my wife, she looked at me and said "thats not how the prodigal son was treated". The coldhearted nature of the relgion has had an awakening effect on her and she really feels for her friend. The elders are so kind, you would hope they wanted to heal one of christs lost sheep who wanted to return to his flock. I know this woman feels bad from the way her daughter talks and i am sure she prayed for forgiveness, she has said her mother stopped sinning and married the guy she was with and was attending meetings and showing repentant works. You would think that public reproof would be enough. guess not

It reminds me of the prodigal sons father responding to his older son, "but we just had to enjoy ourselves and rejoice, because this your brother was dead and came to life , and he was lost and he was found". Luke 15:32.

• jeckle
    jeckle

i will make a generalization that i believe most elder bodies are harder on women almost hateful and vengeful

• garyneal
    garyneal

I wonder if something like this will ever happen to someone my wife knows or is at least familiar with?

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

It's almost a black comedy. Someone who is repentant & wants to go back to the KH has to be disfellowshipped so they can be reinstated so the elders can say they have followed the correct procedures... not very Christ-like...

• baltar447
    baltar447

Wow, thats ridonkulous.

• cult classic
    cult classic
    i will make a generalization that i believe most elder bodies are harder on women almost hateful and vengeful

One of my male relatives was out of the borg for several years. It was common knowledge that his girlfriend was living with him. Well, he decided to make a comeback. He confessed his sins and was silently reproved. The girlfriend started a bible study and they were married. Shortly thereafter she was baptized and he was appointed to all the usual positions in the congregation.

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

One of my male relatives was out of the borg for several years. It was common knowledge that his girlfriend was living with him. Well, he decided to make a comeback. He confessed his sins and was silently reproved. The girlfriend started a bible study and they were married. Shortly thereafter she was baptized and he was appointed to all the usual positions in the congregation

i believe this is a more productive approach, its still a double standard.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Honestly, with the failure to convert rate of the ministry, women are useless in the congregations.

They are just window dressing to make the brothers look good.

Arm candy.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

In no way do I ever want to defend the borg, but years ago I became inactive, and when I went back, I had to "discuss" some things. I was privately reproved. There was never the feeling that I had to be disfellowshipped first. I don't believe that is a widely accepted practice. I think they are still supposed to judge case by case. That said, it means they WANTED to disfellowship your wife's friend. It's a screwed up organization. Too bad she felt the need to return.

For the record, I'm a woman.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Same thing happened to my brother. They made him jump through hoops almost 7 years to get reinstated. I never got over that, it was total and heartless abuse of authority.

One elder stipulated he had to make EVERY meeting for 2 years before they would reinstate him. No excuses, no missing for any reason, except severe illness. Well, he was in a motorcycle accident, 22 surgeries to restore his legs, (he almost lost one) and they held him missing those meetings against him.

You'd get more compassion from a cobra than those bastards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit