1914: A lucky guess? Or divine inspiration?

by Gopher 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I wouldn't even say that 1914 was a lucky guess. Russell identified lots of dates and so did Watchtower writers after him. The fact is every decade has at least one defining moment so predicting something special isn't hard even Russell hedged his bets with 1915.

1929, 1933, 1939, 1941, 1945, 1957, 1961, 1969, are some notable years in human history for one reason or another but you could add lots of other years for other reasons too. If the world changed in 1914 did it change again in 2001?

Thirdson

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

Arn't chronological games fun?

Personaly I think 1947 is a good date in history to try fitting things around.

Norval

• gambler
    gambler

Did russel come up with 1914 or did he lift it from some one else.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Gambler,

CT Russell got the 1914 idea from the Adventists. He formerly was a close associate of theirs, before forming Zion's Watch Tower Inc. (or whatever it was first called).

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I am just wondering how long it will take for the GB to come along with new light and move to times of the gentiles up?? I am sure they must be planning something as the 1914 generation is starting wear a little thin now. Anyway you heard it here first.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• Satanus
    Satanus

Gopher

WW1 was not the first time that a tactic now called total war was used. The wt claims it was. Total war is where civilians are terrorised to effect the war outcome. Previously, at times, civilians would gather as spectators to the two combatting armies. While total war method may have been used before, it was definitivly used by the union forces against the confederacy, when the yank army cut a swath straight south through enemy territory.

The date 1914, according to russel, was to be the END of the time of trouble, NOT the beginning.

We see no reason in changing the figures - nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble.
    The Watchtower July 15, 1894 p. 226. When something dramatic did happen in that year, the wt rearranged its history to manufacture something out of nothing (like god).

As for significant dates, i see 1799 as very significant because the french revolution and the napoleanic wars, w the toppling of much of european royalty, caused a paradigm shift. Previously, the mob of ordinary people generaly found identity/meaning from who the reigning king was. As demonstrated by the toppling of louis xiv, without that icon, the masses went nuts for a time, like an ant colony without a queen. It forced a massive shift of peoples thoughts.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit