Do more musicians become apostes?

by Sharpie 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sharpie
    Sharpie

I was playing guitar today, trying to teach my friend Nothing else maters by metallica.

Now most of us can agree that no JW would ever ever ever admit to listen to metallica to brother or sister. But behind the words and the swear words of any song or band. There is notes. Notes, rythem, keys, music. And music always sounds beautiful no matter how disgusting and awful lyrics are.

Now my question is out of most witnesses that "wake up" how many of them are either fans of music or are muscians themselfs?

I'll leave you with a little example, it's the song All that could of been by Nine Inch Nails.

Music is ALWAYS beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onBymrwempQ

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The WT is all about INFORMATION CONTROL.

Music and the lyrics are generally deep human expressions. These expressions, or feelings, are what make us tick. Of course, in WT world, feelings and individuality are repressed, pushed down and held in as they are looking for robotic obedience.

So the WT constantly bangs on "worldly" music as an influence of the devil. But people love music, so they often break the WT's information hold by listening to the music they like.

But to answer your question, any musician who starts expressing themself freely will start butting heads against the WT. So yes, I would guess many become apostates.

• four candles
    four candles

As I live and breathe.......I'm playing more music now than I did when I was a dub.....lyrics seem to come easier,melodies spring to mind and guitaring is easier......is it just me???

• dudeson
    dudeson

When I was still going to meetings, I was in a band with 4 other JW's who were also active. We played some metallica covers and originals in bars and such. The elders never said anything to any of us. We didn't make it a secret what we were playing and always had people over to the place we practiced in.

So far, I'm the only "apostate".

• Joliette
    Joliette

I'm currently learning how to play guitar (took lessons last year) and I'm going to perform for my family reunion this summer. I love playing and writing. I took piano lessons growing up. I write and I sing. I think artistic people naturally have that 'rebellious' spirit in them, going against the grain sort-of-speak. I am finding out everything thats dirty about the organization, and thats given me more of a reason to write, sing, play. I feel closer to God everytime I do so.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I hope this guy wakes up soon so he will stop his HORRIBLE playing!

Notice the sad mumbling in the background. People are trying to sing along!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKcZL8Tj7M8

• Joliette
    Joliette

Brother Dan:

I was on JW brothers, and OMG...I can kinda take the KM instrumentals but not the singing. Oh my God! I'm like pleeeeease stop. No soul, smuck, or fire.

I dont know if the org allows dubbers to listen to christian/gospel music, but I'd much rather listen to gospel music.

This singer named Teena Marie recently passed away, and I cannot stop listening to it (love it). I remember one sister saying tha dubs arent suppse to listen to gospel/christian music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHckveHrams

• Twitch
    Twitch

Well, I took up guitar and bass as a teen, partly to rebel against the parents and the org but mainly because I liked it and it gave me a rush. Still does,...

• cantleave
    cantleave

I love rock and am the proud owner of a vintage Stratocaster. I know many JW's who have similar taste in music to myself and play in bands. They are unfortunately as strong as ever in the cult.

My ex-boss, who was a very good friend (until he dumped me by text) is in a semi professional band, his band played for Portsmouth FC when they won the FA cup a few years back. He is an elder, has been severely criticised for his music, which is genuine income, but he still can't see that he is in a controlling cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit