Have you written a letter to the GB?

by trevorbv 17 Replies latest jw friends

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    Perform the work exactly as we tell you. EVEN IF you discover a better way to do the work, don't tell us about it."

I got the same thing. If I had any ideas I was not to bring them up. The consensus was "Your idea has most likely been tried already and we have found the best way to do it."

I mean, we were talking freakin toilets here! It was like pulling teeth for me to reorganize our inventory system. It was a mess. But it's true that ideas and suggestions were not wanted. The only ones that are allowed to be "innovative" are the overseers. Most bethelites are just "grunts" are to do as they are told without question. It's definitely a prison like institution.

If you questioned things and tried to be innovative, you were slapped with the "BA" stamp. "That guy has a BAD ATTITUDE!" I got sick of my crew leader saying, "We've gotta tighten things up, chief." Or "Tighten it up Bro!"

• villabolo
    villabolo

I wrote them a letter 30 years ago. I want my stamp back.

Villabolo

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I wrote the Service Dept and did indeed get a reply regarding my question about the translation of a certain scripture as compared to all the other translations in my collection. As far as I know, the cong did not get a copy.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I wrote... often... dear trevorbv (peace to you!)... and not always "sticky sweet", either. I always received a response from "The Writing Department." Usually, within a few weeks/months. One took over a year. Most were, "Here's what we believe," some were "Wait on Jehovah," and a couple were "Speak with your elders/CO." The one that took over a year to get a response was quoted (without the quotes) in the October 15, 1995 WT. It was the article discussing the Greek word "tote"... and resulted in the change as to the teaching that the "separating work" started in 1914 (it couldn't have because it doesn't take place until AFTER Christ returns, which is AFTER the "tribulation"... which apparently hasn't occurred yet, according to their current teaching).

The letter that stands out most to me, however, is the one I took to Bethel and personally handed to Carey Barber. I don't say this to toot my own horn; I say to say that one CAN literally meet with a GB member face to face (well, up until that time - I would not be surprised if that little meeting began an impetus to end that kind of thing).

We (the sister that accompanied me to Bethel and I) were granted an "audience" by Mr. Carey when we asked as he was passing by our table after lunch. The sister is quite a beauty, so he didn't even hesitate to say, "Sure, come on down to my office when you're done!" We didn't get to go to his office, however - either he thought twice about it or someone thought about if for him... and so we "met" in the lobby of the Bethel Headquarters. Talked for about an hour, during which I gave him a letter I had been directed (by my Lord) to write. The letter set forth, biblically, how it is absolutely impossible for one who has died to be resurrected simply because their death has paid for their sins. The reality is that one's death, while covering the COST of one's sins... does not REDEEM one from death. That... a resurrection to life... is a gift... from God.

Anyway, he never read the letter. Although we discussed what was in it, he refused to read it, even look at it. He rolled it up quite tightly in his fist and kept it there the entire time. But he told me why: he said (and this is quote) that "The Governing Body [hasn't] had anything to do with the Watchtower since 1972." He then told me that "everything" had been "handed over to the Writing Committee" at that time, "in anticipation of 1975." He did "promise" me, however, that he would give the letter to the Writing Department. His exact words were, "I promise to see that this gets to the Writing Department" (not the Writing Committee, so...).

Anywho... I doubt that it made it past the first round file... or shredder. BUT... NONE of my numerous letters ever made it to the local BOE (excluding the two I wrote stating I believed I should partake)... and none at all resulted in a "shepherding" call, or counseling, or even a JC. And other than the two I mentioned, the only time I know of that an elder knew of my letters is when one asked to read them (all) after the October 15, 1995 WT article.

BUT... I write all of this to say that I am living proof that it can be done (or, maybe used to be able to be done): one just may be able to get a letter to a GB member. But will he actually READ it? That's something else altogether. But I still say one never knows... until one tries. For me, other than the airfare and trip arrangements, etc., it really wasn't difficult at all.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• factfinder
    factfinder

I did not specifically write to the GB. But I wrote to the society for information many times and would recieve replies many months later. Few were satisfying, most were: please appreciate we do not have the resources to do the research necessary to answer your questions. They would quote a paragraph in a w article I already read and then they would send me their warm Christian greetings!

Sometimes they would tell me to wait and see if forthcoming w articles may contain the info I wanted. Really, it was at the lobby display on the wall at the printery and at the 25 lobby! But they do not have the resources to obtain the info from those displays for me!

Usually they sent a copy to the elders. Once I asked them not to and they said they wouldn't.

My last letter went without a reply but months later after I had written to an elder he mentioned to me that the BOE recieved my letter from bethel and that the society was NOT going to give me any PERSONAL replies! I was not important enough! The elder sidestepped my questions and criticized me for asking them and told me to return to meetings. He said the society directed that I not write to Bethel again. I have not wasted my time or postage since.

Nothing I wrote was critical- I just wanted to reconcile conflicting info they published.

Years ago I wrote to them about the UN scandal and Rad Cam and I recieved a reply- only half satisfying.

I doubt my letters made it to the writing committee- just to someone assigned to give standard answers to inquiries. Someone who was too lazy to bother to get the info I requested even though it was right there in the printery lobby on a wall display!

• Joliette
    Joliette

Miseryloveselder you are too funny

I would think it would be a waste of time.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

On a side note, I don't believe letters sent to 'Questions from readers' get published an answered.

I often noticed the trend seemed to be the 'Q's from readers' was worded more like a Watchtower letter 'hack' inventing questions to introduce 'new light'.

I don't know if this assumption has any merit.

Years ago I wrote to Bethel with a question about the prophecies in Daniel and washTowel interpretation. I questioned about alexander's successors and gave a logical explanation as to why I thought the answer was something different.

All I received was the answer that what the book said was what we should believe. Substance of that. I thought: 'what twats!'

• designs
    designs

My Letters got answered by someone in the secretary pool. They were then sent back to the DO, CO, and BOE for Marking purposes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit