"The Rise and Fall of the Bible"

by leavingwt 34 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Writing at Salon, Laura Miller reviews a new book by professor of Religion, Timothy Beal.

"The Rise and Fall of the Bible": Rethinking the Good Book

. . .

The thing is, many Americans -- especially those raised in the less reflective Christian denominations -- know nothing about how the Bible was compiled. That's why so many of them were amazed to learn from "The Da Vinci Code" that the Old and New Testaments are assemblages of texts written at different times by different authors, most of whom were not eyewitnesses to the events they describe. In Brown's crackpot version, the Emperor Constantine gets cast as the arch-villain, ordaining that conservative texts be officially canonized, while more politically radical (and less misogynistic) works got kicked out of the scripture clubhouse. The real story is even more unstable than Brown's inaccurate potted version, with dozens of official and semiofficial variations (including or excluding certain marginal books) produced in the centuries after the death of Jesus.

The bestselling New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman, who, like Beal, was raised in a conservative evangelical family, has written in greater depth on early Christian texts; that isn't really Beal's purpose. Ehrman became an agnostic, but Beal is still a Christian, and with "The Rise and Fall of the Bible," he wants to argue against the common perception of the Bible as God's infallible handbook on how to live, "totally accurate in all of its teachings" -- a view, incidentally, that nearly half of all Americans (and 88 percent of "born again" Christians) claim to believe. Beal is the sort of Christian who doesn't want to raise his son to "think that creationism is a viable alternative to evolutionary biology or that homosexuality is sinful," but he is as skeptical of liberal attempts to simplify the Bible as he is of the more predominant right-wing reductionism. He would rather see his co-religionists embrace the fact that the Bible is full of contradictions and inconsistencies and come to regard it not as "the book of answers, but as a library of questions," many of which can never be conclusively resolved.

. . .

Even more insidious, in Beal's eyes, is the trend over the past couple of centuries away from word-for-word translations of the Bible and toward "functional equivalence" and "meaning driven" translations. These considerably fiddled-with versions iron out the wrinkles and perplexities in the ancient texts and nudge them closer toward the advice, directives and "values" so many people expect from their Bible. Beal argues that the Bible industry resorts to this sort of thing precisely because the Bible doesn't offer cut-and-dried guidance -- or Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth, as one popular modern acronym would have it.

Much like the professor who assigned the Old Testament during my sophomore year of college, Beal would prefer that people read the Bible as if it were a work of art -- that is, as a text permitting multiple interpretations and as a spur to further thought and self-examination rather than as the last word on all of life's enigmas. Or, as he rather fetchingly puts it at one point: "This is poetry, not pool rules." His approach is, of course, more congenial to nonbelievers than the conviction that the Bible describes historical facts and constitutes the "inerrant" word of God. Still, even an optimistic secularist may find it difficult to credit Beal's prediction that his way of reading the Bible is just about to catch on, big time.

Beal thinks the current boom in biblical consumerism amounts to a "distress crop," the last great efflorescence of the old authoritative ideal before people move on and learn to embrace biblical ambiguity. I'm not so sure. Craving the certainty and absolutism of fundamentalism is a fairly common response (across many religious faiths) to the often terrifying flux of modern life. If certitude is the main thing American Christians are seeking when they turn to the Bible, then they're unlikely to tolerate, let alone embrace, Beal's "library of questions" model. You can learn a lot about how the Bible was created in the past 2,000 years, and about the many strange forms it has taken in the present, from "The Rise and Fall of the Bible." But where it's headed in the future is a mystery much harder to solve.

http://www.salon.com/books/laura_miller/2011/02/13/rise_and_fall_of_bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

AH dude, you do have to read that book I suggest by Kenton Sparks:

God's Word in Human Words.

It is quite interesting and as much as I like Bart's stuff, it PALES in comparison to the work done by his professor Bruce Metzger.

Metzger is pure research and facts and leaves out Bart's tendency to pass of his own personal views and speculations as "facts".

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

PSacramento: This guy seems to hold views similar to yours.

he wants to argue against the common perception of the Bible as God's infallible handbook on how to live
  • whereami
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento
    he wants to argue against the common perception of the Bible as God's infallible handbook on how to live

I don't disagree with the message, though I wouldn't have worded it that way, but I diagree with the method.

From my experience what will happen will be that he will "preach to the converted" and those that really should undersatnd his message will be put off by how he is delivering it.

The bible is MANY things and that is the point, to make it onlY ONE thing is going about it the wrong way.

To title it " the rise and fall of the bible" is already to alienate the majority that should be considering his views.

I think and I commend his attempt, but the first thing he needs to do is understand the difference between inerrant and infalliable.

He also needs to make it clear that the issues he brings up are NOT new and have ben discussed by some of the greaters theologians like Augustine and Aquinas and that discussing these things and addressing them NOW, jusy like THEN, doesn't equal questioning the wword fo God nor does it equal compromising ones faith.

Instead of bring up Bart as an example, because it isn't a very good one, he can bring up MANY examples of people who have questioned the Bible, have studied, have seen the issues , have addressed them and HAVE kept their faith.

• cofty
    cofty

Bart Ehrman remained a "liberal" chrisitan for 15 years after he came to the conclusion that the bible was not inspired. It was not problems with the bible which led him from belief but the question of theodicy.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Bart believed that the bible was the inerrant word of God, when, in his views, that belief was compromised, being agnostic was the "natural" step for him.

In short, his original erroneous belief system is what caused his "laps into agnosticisim".

Funny because his own teacher, Metzger, and many other evangelicals, don't seem to have that issue, I guess their definition of "inspired" must be different than Barts.

Or maybe they aren't selling controversial books;)

• cofty
    cofty

I don't agree, he continued to be fully involved in the christian life as a pastor for 15 years AFTER he concluded the bible was not inerrant. It was when he later agreed to teach a class on the bible's response to the problem of evil that his gradual path to agnosticism began. I can get you references if you wish but I am on my out for a while

Bart was able to live with a non-inerrant bible.

• Balsam
    Balsam

After I left the witnesses I delved into biblical scholars studies and was astonished to know that many many changes happened to the texts as they reached us in the 21st century. I read Bart Erhman, Bruce Metzer, and others and learned our devotion to the words in the bible as coming from God was just idiotic. I do find worthwhile wisdom in the bible and still read it occasionally but my reading of wisdom has broadened considerably. I just wish I had known what I know now about the bible when I was a young woman it might have saved me from the devoted life I lead to the Jehovah Witness baloney. Oh well better late than never and I've been able to educate my sons who were raised in the JW's and get them out so that is good.

Have any of you heard of the "Jesus Seminar"? They are biblical scholars who have seminars all over the USA to educate regular folks on the bible and how we came to have it today. I've been to one and it was worth every penny I spent for it.

Ruth

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I don't agree, he continued to be fully involved in the christian life as a pastor for 15 years AFTER he concluded the bible was not inerrant. It was when he later agreed to teach a class on the bible's response to the problem of evil that his gradual path to agnosticism began. I can get you references if you wish but I am on my out for a while
    Bart was able to live with a non-inerrant bible.

And he still does, I don't think we are arguing that, sorry if I gavce you that impression.

What I am trying to say is that Bart's preconceived notions of inerrancy is what made his "personal revelation" so pronounced.

There was a reason that he wrote Misquoting Jesus, even though there was no prood that the Gospel writers did what he claims and that al of his pointd had been discussed for quite some time ( centuries) before he seemed to "come upon" them.

Have any of you heard of the "Jesus Seminar"? They are biblical scholars who have seminars all over the USA to educate regular folks on the bible and how we came to have it today. I've been to one and it was worth every penny I spent for it.
    Ruth

No offense, but the "Jesus Seminar" is one of the worse examples of Christain scholarship and historical/biblical criticisim/interpretation since Marcion had a crack at it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit