The WT Headship Principle (tm): Did you ever REALLY buy it?

by Open mind 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

The WT Headship Principle (tm): Did you ever REALLY buy it?

Nope. I watched my parent's relationship crumble when my Mom abdicated all responsibility for herself to my Dad siting 'headshipt'.

This notion, to subjugate women, was part of the beginning that lead me to question the Botchtower as well as the Bible.

Headshipt is just another aspect/degree of oppression and slavery. It is not a loving, True North Principle. It places a man above a woman, in a position of authority and power. I see this as an ancient male requirement to control and dominate. It does not allow for empowerment, collaboration, creativity, joy, and growth. It curtails communication and a team-oriented environment. I was not interested in embracing these ideals in my life.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I didn't like it but fell for it. My EX was controlling and used the headship card daily. It was a miserable life!.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The headship principle was my father's all-ecompassing belief. The most abusive and totally crazy things were justified by this principle. I don't know a single woman who would put up with this treatment unless someone's self-esteem was already in the gutter. It was JW generational in my family. Once you are out, you see "normal." The WTBTS does everything to insure you only see crazy and internalize crazy as normal.

When I was young, I thought abuse was my due. I never did anything bad. He must have had a brain disorder and a much larger character disorder. The horrific tales have already been posted here. My father would present a problem to any mainstream religion. Abuse is wrong. Beating your children and subjecting them to serious bodily injury or death is wrong. The Bible contains many beautiful, soaring verses about equality in marriage. The WT selects the demeaning ones. No thought is given to the fact that our culture has evolved. There is a parallel to American constil' law. Scalia goes on about original intent. If we were stuck with original intent, how would we deal with a military industrial complex, highly regulated industries, the Internet, modern technology in general, universal, compulsory education, etc.

I wanted to vomit at the willingness of sisters to take rebuke. My grandmother was more honest when I told her it was fundamentally unfair and that men were not better. It was just the way it was. She agreed with me but bow down anyway. In fairness to the Society, my aunt and uncle had a wonderful marriage. Lip service was given to headship. My aunt obeyed in superficial things. A casual observer would have viewed her as obedient. Once I spent time with them, I noticed how they were complimentary and how much he respected her. The application of the rule must be a major factor.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Mrs Punk has never given a hoot about it and never listened to me anyway. She comes from a family of bossy women (no offense to the female gender).

Headship? Spits on the floor............

• Open mind
    Open mind

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple days to respond. Thanks for all the great comments.

Heaven: "Headshipt is just another aspect/degree of oppression and slavery. It is not a loving, True North Principle. "

I like the sound of that.

At my wife's recommendation I just finished listening to the audio book "Infidel" read by the Author Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

What an incredibly brave woman. It was creepy seeing many psychological and cultural similarities between Islam and the JWs. Although, the Islamic life Ayaan lived through was MUCH worse than the typical JW experience, IMO.

om

• mamalove
    mamalove

No way. Never obeyed anyone. Didn't need to ask permission.

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

I agreed with it to a certain extent because I read it in the Bible. I saw how some "brothers" treated their wives and that's why I stayed single for a while cuz as a single woman, "I did what the hell I wanted". Now that I am married, I still do "what the hell I want". I just let my husband know about it and we're good. I also allow him the same courtesy.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I think it was easy to teach back in the 50's when I went. But I bet they start changing things pretty soon..Women wised up...

It's their world too!

Snoozy

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Found this from the 2010 Elders Manuel:

"Watchtower has announced publication and distribution of its new book dated 2010 and titled “Shepherd the Flock of God—1 Peter 5:2”.[1]

Watchtower’s appointed elders have been told these books are for “elders only” and to be kept “secured and confidential”. Elders are further instructed that “other individuals should not have any opportunity to read the information.”[1]

These new books are soft-cover bound like other recent Watchtower publications. Some elders have expressed a preference to have these books re-bound with spiral binders. In response Watchtower has informed elders that if an elder prefers a spiral binding he may 1) have another elder do it for him, or 2) he may have a non-elder “brother” do it under his immediate supervision, but that 3) “Outside companies, unbelievers, or sisters are not permitted to do this work.”[2]"

It links "sisters" right there with the Outside companies and unbelievers... shows their view of "Women" still today!

Snoozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit