Please help!! My friend is now a return visit / doorstep study!

by AiAi 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Ai,

First step, invite the JWs in out of the cold. Much more can be accomplished over a hot cup of tea and an open Bible.

Here is a video I produced on YouTube (The Real Deal on the 144,000) that your friend might want to see before the next engagement. I also have a question/answer strategy for questioning Jehovah's witnesses on the subject of the 144,000. I'll email it to you/him if wanted. I've used it very successfully with a pioneer and an elder as well as on line Christian forums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_JnephdlP8

Vander

• moshe
    moshe

This is funny- a youth minister is going to go toe to toe with a JW. The reason JWs exist in the first place is because of confusion over what the Bible, specifically the NT Bible, teaches. You can't go into a wrestling match without rules as to how to score a winning round. Whose Bible translation will they both accept?

• AiAi
    AiAi

DanaBug, you bring up a very good point about what 'before' means

Black Sheep, I always like your take on things and you comment is exactly what me and my friend need to help us not overwhelm my brother. One question though, what did you mean by:

Saying screeds on a slightly related subject

Ding, you are right he needs to be careful. I think he has a solid enough foundation in faith to do fine though...

NeonMadman, those are great points but not quite on the subject at hand. I am sure they will help as the 'study' evolves though

Band on the Run, ?????????????????????????????????

Billy, that would be an interesting study....wish I had one

Mrquik, I think we will overall address the validation of their religion; just not all at once

Vander, I have not had a chance to finish the video yet but I will. please feel free to PM me anything you think would help!

Moshe, you are definately right. I tried to explain to him he can either be right or have them come back but not both, at least yet. So far what the plan is is too double check everything he wants to share from his bible by referencing the NWT until he is officialy offered one. It wont be easy but my friend doesnt mind losing an argument if he can win a soul

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Saying screeds on a slightly related subject

Before you respond to what a JW says .... take a moment to ask yourself if it was truly answering your question. It often isn't. It may be related to your question, but not really dealing with it.

It is really easy to be sucked into a change of subject with this tactic.

One trick is to play Bible ping pong by quoting a scripture that they feel supports their view instead of discussing the scripture you raised. They will do this with John 20:28 every time. Don't fall for it. Tell them you will discuss their scripture after he has dealt with your one. If he can't explain your one and his one truly does contradict it, then you have contradiction in the Bible and you might as well chuck it out.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

????????? Give me a break. The whole issue isn't doctrine but cult practices. If Witnesses knew their Bible just a smidgeon, they would not be Witnesses. Something pscyhological is going on besides any one doctrine. My father, a Bethelite, took on a Jesuit seminary over the Witness translation of the word soul. He poured his all into it. In fact, the workplace was so hostile b/c of him, he was almost fired. He came home devestated, completely devestated and took to his bed. He acknowledged the Jesuit was right. He did not leave the Society.

Anyone flipping a Bible can say they study it. You know your brother uniquely so you should know what sensitive areas exist. IMO, defeat of a certain JW doctrine can be denied just as alcholics deny that they are alcoholics.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

All the information you seek on this can be found right here. Start at the top and work down. Approach it from different angles.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/jehovahs_witnesses_144000_144_000_heaven.html

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/jehovahs_witnesses_beliefs_great_crowd.html

• AiAi
    AiAi

Band on the Run, I understand, and agree with, the point you are making but my main concern is making sure what happened to your father does not happen to my brother. True, I do know him better than anyone; but, I have not had any experiance in dealing with a JW as an 'apostate' and tring to reason with them and that is what I need advice with. Obviosly, I will try to tailor any advice to fit the citioation.

Jonathan Doe, so far seems like a lot of good information, just a lot to sift through.

• AiAi
    AiAi

Black Sheep, I almost forgot you, that is good advice and a great way of explaining their diversion tactics. Thank you

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

marking

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

AiAi,

Or the friend could straight out tell your brother that if he was going to buy a car, he would carefully research the vehicle rather than just takes the salesman's word. And if he'd research the purchase of a car, he should certainly research the acceptance of some religion. Then he could drop the bomb that he researched JWs on the Internet and can clearly see that they have an extensive history of failed predictions and flip-flopped teachings that they try to whitewash over. JWs follow a group of self-appointed "apostles" in Brooklyn that are run-of-the-mill, uneducated, cult leaders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit