The Pressure Is On to Pioneer in April

by dontplaceliterature 33 Replies latest jw friends

• zoiks
    zoiks

BTTT

I spoke with my MIL last night, who is very excited about April. It seems that people in her congregation are theorizing that this is a "test run" to see if a more permanent arrangement is in order.

She said something that, together with what many people here have said, gave me pause. The conversation went kind of like this:

MIL: 30 hours isn't that hard to do. Maybe they're seeing if it goes well and then they'll change the requirements so that lots of people can aux. pioneer.

My wife: Then why doesn't everyone just put in 30 hours without the title of pioneer?

MIL: Well, I think that when you actually sign up to pioneer, you're more likely to work hard to make your time.

And there it is. The title of pioneer or even auxiliary pioneer are already revered among JWs, something to attain to. So, you make the hours requirement almost ridiculously low, so that fewer people have an excuse NOT to pioneer. Then you count on the fact that, once signed up, MOST will not fake their hours but will work extra hard to make their time month after month.

Benefits for the WTS leadership:

Numbers to prove that Jehovah is "speeding up the work before the end" and the associated sort-lived rush that this gives the publishers.

More people being kept too busy "making their time" to do much else... like get on the internet and such.

More people making changes in their lives - 'simplifying' - in order to pioneer. Once they have invested in it, they will be more likely to keep doing it.

A way to separate those who are "weak"- why can't you put in 30 hours, Brother Hasaregularjob? Even Sister Singlewithkids is doing it! Then, once these less zealous ones are known, they can be subject to more scrutiny, shepherding visits, pressure, etc.

While I'm not a WTS conspiracy theorist, it does look like this Loving Arrangement from the Governing Body TM really is at the very least a way to create more pressure on the publishers to do even more.

• pontoon
    pontoon

It's all so disingenious. If a pub could do 1 or 10 or 20 or 40 or 80 or 160 hrs. they should do it. Suppose to do your best, with or without a tittle. As for that dumb elder statement about Armgeddon coming, what we've always been taught is we have to serve because we DON"T know when it is coming---the thief in the deal.

• ambersun
    ambersun

Lol at Jambon1. That is so true! I can remember every year there were always a few wierd, bewildered and slightly deranged looking people who would be brought to the memorial by overzealous auxilliary pioneers, possibly attend a few meetings after the memorial then disappear, never to be seen again. I'm sure most of them hadn't got a clue what was going on

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

God this makes me glad I haven't been a Witness in years. The yearly pressure to temporary pioneer in April.UGH!

I tried it once and never made the hours. I always hated FS, although I absolutely love other things that involve dealing with the public. I even sold Avon door to door, that never bothered me. Witnessing to people always did though. I always felt rude and intrusive. Probably because I was never utterly convinced of what I talked about.

My cognitive dissonance was always kicking in!

I can't say it enough, I was a lousy JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit