Discrimination Against Atheists.

by whereami 8 Replies latest jw friends

• whereami
  • garyneal
    garyneal

marked

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

People discriminate, birds of a feather flock together.

You cant come out amongst a bunch of Christians and say your an atheist or talk like an atheist

without repurcussions.

Acceptance and political correctness is what destroyed Amerika.

If there ever were a rebellion or coup de ate in amerika, the intelligenstia would be the first to the gas

chambers or labor camps.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

What I see alot of, is athiests coming into a religious thread and talking smack. Then people react to that by being defensive and saying things that are personal. Then the athiests call them on it and more trash talk occurs.

The only "persecution" I have seen is self induced in that way. Not saying that is everyone's experience. But unlike a person's race, no one will KNOW you are an athiest unless you open your mouth.

I think anyone in the minority gets picked on by the majority.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

booh! I am an atheist.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    The only "persecution" I have seen is self induced in that way

I have not told many about my atheist leanings, because it is new to me. But my brother is a life long atheist, and he certainly doesn't have to go looking for persecution. He prefers not to pray, and he is persecuted. He prefers not to get caught up in superstition and religious observances, and he is persecuted. He wants the US to be educated, and learn actual science in the classroom, and he is persecuted. I don't see how any of that is self induced. The military gives a personality test, and if they feel you are not spiritual enough, or not spiritual in the proper way, they send you off to counselling with some state sanctioned pastor. Was that self induced?

no one will KNOW you are an athiest unless you open your mouth

Are you suggesting that atheist's should keep their mouths shut, or they deserve what they get? Can an atheist get elected to public office? It would be nice if people that don't believe like we all do would just shut their mouths. Cuz then everyone would not feel so obligated to persecute them.

• Scully
    Scully

The only "persecution" I have seen is self induced in that way. Not saying that is everyone's experience. But unlike a person's race, no one will KNOW you are an athiest unless you open your mouth.

Imagine the uproar if any other belief system was substituted for "atheist" in the above sentence. Talk about disrespecting an individual's fundamental, constitutionally protected rights and freedoms, eh??

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Hey, you guys are pretty literal. I get the same thing because I'm a pagan. And I don't pray with them either. But I just don't pay attention when they react to it. Because they react to me in that way doesn't start a fight. I choose not to fight. It takes two to tango.

I was substituting any other belief system. Mine, Islam, any. We all get it. Some because they dress a certain way, don't have to open their mouths. I choose not to wear my pentagram to work for that reason. But unless you are in a part of the world where they are going to shoot you because you are an athiest, I think that "persecution" is a pretty strong word.

Also different parts of the planet are more accepting. However, I have not known the part known as JWN to be that way.

• cofty
    cofty

Being an atheist in UK is easy, thank god

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit