Molech and Jehovah

by cameo-d 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

It appears that the commands for animal sacrifices were added to the Pentateuch by Ezra after the Babylonian exile.

Ezra Creates His "Law of Moses"

http://www.essene.com/History&Essenes/ezlaw.htm

Sacrifices In the Sumerian Culture

http://gallery.sjsu.edu/sacrifice/sumerians.html

So much for "original sin" and "sacrificial lambs".

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Tammy,

If we are talking about a time prior to the commissioning of a Bible and its much later canonization, we don't know what YHWH required. YHWH did not spring up out of the air. The culture had to change from its pre-YHWH state. If all the surroudning cultures practiced human sacrifice, it makes sense that the Jews (maybe before Abraham even) also practiced the human sacrifice. The countries surrounding Israel today are Muslim and while stoning remains a punishment, human sacrifice does not exist. It makes sense that change would be gradual. Social forces had to exist. I doubt that the person sacrificed and the person's family were elated about human sacrifice. Many times the sacrifices are outsiders not considered fully human by the dominant culture.

If all the surrounding cultures evolved, why did not the Jews, too? There are several references to what we incorrectly term pagan religions in the OT. The Samaritans were once Jews. They worship YHWH. Variants of YHWH worship probably existed. I am completely convinced that it is fallacy to read the Bible literally. The contradictions are so apparent. A timeline would help, IMO.

Also, when Abraham has his conversion experience, it does not take years of study to learn YHWH doctrines and rules. I don't know what happened. News reels do not exist and obviously, I was not a witness. The Witnesses have a certain world view. I find complexity much easier on my conscience and gut.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

YHWH did not spring up out of the air.

You are right, the deity was an import from the southern region of Midian, Edom. This is consistant with the earliest references to Yahweh inside and outside the OT.

"O Yahweh, when you went out from Seir, when you marched from the land of Edom, the earth shook and the heavens poured, the clouds poured down water. The mountains quaked before Yahweh, the One of Sinai, before Yahweh the god of Israel" (Judges 5:4-5).

Yahweh from Sinai came, he beamed forth from Seir upon us, he shown forth from Mount Paran. With him were myriads of holy ones, at his right hand marched the gods (mymn 'shr 'lm, corrupted in the MT but reflected in the LXX)" (Deuteronomy 33:2).

God came from Teman, the Holy One from Mount Paran. His glory covered the heavens and his praise filled the earth. His splendor was like the sunrise; rays flashed from his hand, where his power was hidden. Plague went before him; pestilence followed his steps...Were you angry with the rivers, O Yahweh? Was your wrath against the streams? Did you rage against Yam when you rode with your horses and your victorious chariots? You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows... Sun and moon stood still in the heavens at the glint of your flying arrows, at the lightning of your flashing spear" (Habakkuk 3:3-6, 9, 11).

The imported deity was conflated with Palestinian gods El and his son Baal to become a new deity with elements of all three, (ie. warrior, storm god, Most High).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit