It is so frustrating trying to get cable TV

by life is to short 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I had basic cable for a long time just for the reception. I later went to expanded basic so I had a little more choice in channels. We have companies galore here so I can pick and choose. I refuse to lock in to a contract. That way I have control over them...

Or at least I like to think I do..

They have to stay with the price they give me for a year but I have the freedom to stop service with no penalty if I so desire.

I am thinking about getting DVR so I can rewind and record..my daughter has that. But they want to charge a fortune for a service call and I told them if they ever want to waive that let me know and I will get it..so it's a waiting game between us..

Snoozy..hope you get satisfaction soon!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

By law, cable companies must offer a package that provides the over-the-air channels. They do not advertise this. Here in Mississippi, this service is $15 per month, after you pay a connection fee of some sort. You will get all of the over-the-air channels via their cable. This will include the HD versions of these channels (known as unencrypted QAM channels).

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Here is more info on what I mentioned above:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4821656_cheap-cable-television.html

• wasblind
    wasblind

Wow thanks Leavingwt

LITS,

I remember years ago when I first recieved cable tv

this was way before the sattlelite dish came out and only

people in the city limits could get cable. my cable bill was $13.50

per month, i would pay it for the whole year. I can't pay it for the

whole year now !!!!!!

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks leavingwt I think that is what the cable company here has but they do not want you to know it you truly have to fight them to get them to tell you about it. I wish we had more to choose from like you do snozzy but we really only have two where I live. One insists on a two year contract period.

I am going to try to see if I can go to the main office and talk to someone in person but I have heard that there is no one that will speak to you in the office where I live that it is only really for the trucks to come and pick up supplys the main office is over on the coast that is 300 miles away. So you have to talk on the phone but they cannot answer you questions until they speak to corprate and they promise they will call you back but they never do.

Thanks for the link leavingwt. That might help others on the board also.

LITS

• joeblow
    joeblow

Cable TV gives you what? 200 channels of crap... rehashed "reality" TV and other mindless pap. Can you honestly find a channel in the 200+ available that has anything intelligent to offer? The History Channel? Nope, not anymore... Discovery? Nope... what about the regular networks.. ABC, NBC, CBC (if you're in Canada)... nope... more shouting and low IQ programming.

I have cable because it's included in the rent where I live. I've watched it probably no more than... about 30 minutes in 6 months.

My entertainment solution... internet :-) Sources like Hulu, Netflicks, BBC iPlayer, etc are great for legal streams of movies and TV shows. You can pick and choose what you watch. Can't get Hulu because you're not in the US? No problem... just use a VPN service like OverPlay.net and no more problems... you can get BBCiPlayer, Hulu.. any stream you want. Sports? use MyP2P.eu and problem solved. Anything I missed? :-)

I've got a computer hooked up to my TV... one of those mini PCs that is the size of a small book. It's running Linux... Boxee for the movies on my network drives, and just a Firefox browser for things like Hulu and BBC iPlayer. This route seems so much more... useful to me. You can watch the stuff you find entertaining on your schedule instead of the networks... on-demand is so much better than cable.

I suppose... you can't surf the channels like you used to if you go this route :-) but... small price to pay. Ha ha ha.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I HATE CABLE! The biggest ripoff ever. Actually about to drop cable and use Netflicks for tv/movies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit