"Oh but there is the resurrection!"

by Leto 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leto
    Leto

Just thought I'd share what came out of the mouth of a local elder a few months ago.

It all started when they ignored our "no tresspassing" sign, and drove up our rural driveway as part of their cult recruiting ritual, or the "bothering work" as my dad calls it. I told him that the Witlesses fly the flag of "we only believe in the bible", but that simply put, the Watchtower blatantly ignores all sorts of scripture. He looked at me funny, and I used the example of the Great Crowd. I asked him where the great crowd was in Revelation and he of course says on earth. I said, well theres a perfect example, because the bible clearly says the great crowd is in heaven. He looked at me strange, and with a sneer he handed me his bible and said "Show me". So I did. He proceeds to say that the great crowd couldn't have been in heaven because we're promised a paradise earth. To that I told him those two ideas aren't necessarily conflicting ones, as I know of Christians who look forward to the earth being a paradise. He went off into a tirade, and I stopped him and asked him if getting any of these details right have anything to do with our salvation? He said "Well, no." So then I asked him why we would even worry about it, much less argue about stuff like that. I was trying to get him to think.

I then told him that the Watchtower directly contradicts Jesus' own words with pretty much everything they do and say. I turned to Mark 29 and read him the account of the apostles telling a man to stop driving out demons in Jesus' name. They told Jesus that they did that because the man "wasn't with them"...Instead of patting the apostles on the head and saying "well done", Jesus told them NOT to do that, because whoever isn't against us- is for us. I told the Witless that we both know the Watchtower judges every other group besides itself as satanic, so why would they do that when Jesus himself basically said not to be judging others as to who has God's favor? He just stuttered and had nothing to say.

We continued to talk about other things. I told him the Watchtower joined the United Nations. "I don't believe that." He said. I told him it's well documented on the UN's website, and that he doesn't have to take my word for it.

He also didn't believe that voting was now a conscience issue.

We also talked about the horrible medical advice, no vaccinations, organ transplants, etc. I asked him if this was GOD's organization, if I lived back in '78 and my little girl needed a kidney transplant- that in order to be "Loyal to Jehovah" (and I used air quotes when speaking to him) that she would have to die a slow horrible death of renal failure. But then in 1980 it would have been a conscience issue!?

His reply?

"But there would be the resurrection."

I just stared at him in disbelief, and told him to "Listen to what you are saying man!" Life is more precious than that!

"...But it wouldn't matter, because there would be the resurrection."

I said "But, what if there really isn't? Then what did these people die for?"

He promptly made tracks out of there after that exchange. I talked to him for almost 45 minutes. It reinforced to me the fact that Witlesses are indeed brainwashed and have immense difficulty thinking for themselves. He was a nice enough guy, I would talk to him again. It just makes me sad that the cult can prey on seemingly decent people like that.

My wife talked to the guy before I did, and she told me he started saying that only the Witlesses go out there and preach "the good neuz, unlike Churches where the people just show up on sunday." My wife asked him if he had ever been to a Christian church. He said no. She told him that he really offended her by saying such a thing. She told him about all the different outreach programs and missionary's our churches support, so for him to say such a thing was "highly ignorant".

This encounter with the JW underlined to me first hand just how much they value life. It's certainly is a dangerous cult.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Load of crock, the ressurection doesn't cheapen life.

Life is the most precious gift from God we have, life is sacred.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I like your avatar - truth and justice.

This has proven to be the WT's nemesis.

Syl

• cantleave
    cantleave

Indeed it is a very dangerous cult.

It's amusing to read an account like yours, the cognitive dissonance becomes so obvious it is physically disernable in their body language.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

One of my fave movies.

BTS

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Maybe you planted some sort of seed of doubt in him. You never know.

• Leto
    Leto

I'm sure that the thought of the resurrection is what comforted parents and helped them to "draw close to Jehovah" in 1980 when the rules were changed, and their children had died needlessly.

I lost my grandmother prematurely over the blood issue. She died alone because of the Watchtower.

• Leolaia
  • undercover
    undercover

I went to a JW funeral awhile back and the JW elder who gave the talk actually said that the deceased no longer had to wage war with the old system and that in some ways she was better off than the rest of us. I was gobsmacked at that. Now we're supposed to be envious of the dead?

In the movie Religulous, Bill Maher is interviewing some Jesus freak and the guy talked about being with Christ after he died. Maher asked if that was his goal, to be with Christ. When the guy answered in the affirmative, Maher just looked at him and deadpanned, "Why don't you just kill yourself?"

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

144,000 - Do only 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses go to heaven? This paper begins with a brief summary of the Jehovah's Witnesses' beliefs. It then examines several areas of interest with respect to that religion's false teachings, such as, a) whether only 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses go to heaven to rule over earthly subjects and the Great Crowd, b) whether Christ's Second Coming occurred in 1914, and whether Jesus began ruling over God's kingdom in 1914 but received only a subsidiary share of that kingdom, c) whether the New Covenant of Jeremiah 31:31-34 is limited to only God, Jesus and the 144,000 and whether that eternal covenant lasts only 2,000 years, d) whether resurrected man can be perfected through their educational salvation program during the thousand year reign, e) whether man is not judged for deeds committed during this life but only those committed during the 1,000 year reign, f) whether the first resurrection began in 1918, g) whether Jesus Christ is actually dispensed with after the millennial reign, and much more.

http://144000.110mb.com/144000/index.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit