KH and DF attendance question

by diamondiiz 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

That 1952 WT article is really something.

I don't know if I've ever read anything quite like it.

It's almost a stream-of-consciousness thing.

I can just picture Fred Franz sitting in his office, eyes glazed over, spittle flying, fists clenched, half-mumbling every thought the instant that it enters into his crowded head, and Henschel or some other lackey sitting at his elbow furiously scribbling everything down, then submitting it as-is, no editing at all, to the typesetter for inclusion in the next magazine.

• Awen
    Awen

It'd reall be funny if all the DFed ones banded together and went out in field service.

Of course the elders would object and the Dfed ones could counter with Acts 4:19 :"19 But Peter and John replied, "Which is right in God's eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! 20 As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard."

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I was an 8-year old JW kid when that article came out (Mar Vista, CA congregation). That is one of the few articles I remember from that time period. If I remember right, I don't think my parents or I even understood what disfellowshipping was or how it worked. But I do remember that there were a few attendees that always sat in the back.

Richard Kelly tells about this time period in his book "Growing Up in Mama's Club." He tells the story of a fellow who takes over as Company Servant (that's what the CBOE/COBOE was called in those days) that went on a DF rampage soon after he took control of the KH. Kelly describes the practice of having the DFd ones sitting at the back of the Hall. We all considered it as a "place of shame." It was very hard on those who were in a disciplinary situation who really wanted to "come back to the Truth." It was like the medieval practice of putting people in stocks in the center of town or the "scarlet letter" being branded on a person to identify them as sinners.

In most communities a Kingdom Hall would be considered "private property." Trespassers or other unwanted persons could be asked to leave by the JWs. If they refused to leave, the police could be called and the unwelcome guests could be charged with trespassing or disorderly conduct. The fact that a sign says that the "public is invited" to attend does not change the status of the building and its surrounds as private property. It would be similar to inviting everyone in your neighborhood over to your house for a barbeque or to watch the SuperBowl on your widescreen. It is still your private property and you have every right to ask them to leave peacefully. If they refuse to leave, even though they had an invitation, you still have the right to ask them to leave or else you can call the police and have them charged as trespassers or for acting disorderly. A court may later dismiss the charges if no one was injured and no property damage occurred, but at least you got them off the property. JWs and any other church with public meetings can do the same thing.

JV

• St George of England
    St George of England
    It would be similar to inviting everyone in your neighborhood over to your house for a barbeque or to watch the SuperBowl on your widescreen. It is still your private property and you have every right to ask them to leave peacefully.

The big difference of course, (at least in the UK) is the Charitable status JW's congregations and KH's enjoy. I just wonder what the Charity Commission would have to say on such a situation.

George

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I attnded a church service here and one thing I noticed:

The seating didn't appear to be arranged according to how bad of a sinner you were. It was rather nice.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Juan: My thoughts are same a what George said. I might call a Canadian agency or search the net for their rights as to who can attend their service when their service is open to the public.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Just go in a mosque wearing a T-shirt with "Allah and Muhammad, go suck a...s!" and see if they let you in. Tell them you will just sit quietly in the back and disturb no one.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

"Allah and Muhammad, go suck a...s!" - LOL :)

This would be an extreme slogan offensive to deity and a prophet while the example I gave doesn't offend anyone. Point being that while a slogan can be made to make someone think, it doesn't have to offend resulting in being kicked out for offensive words or art....

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Thinking is an offense for almost any JW. My point stands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit