Just something I've noticed that makes me wonder...

by Mr. Falcon 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I have found it very odd how much in-fighting and back-biting go on among certian BOE's.

And it's rather strange that several (not all) of them will vent to me about how they can't stand this one, or they think this other one is out of line, or that elder's wife talks too much, etc. Or they whine about how many elder meetings they have to go to, or how they are frustrated because they have to deal with Sister Loudmouth-Who-Pisses-Off-Everyone-Else.

And I sit there wondering why they would ever want to continue to do this job? It's thankless, offers no compensation, rips you away from your family, and forces you to rub shoulders with Company Men and puts you in a position where you have to render judgement on someone with little or no understanding of what the psychological consequences to that person could be. I'm having difficulty seeing proof of God's Spirit at work here. I understand the whole arguement, "well, it's imperfect men, yadda yada..." but all I really see is politics. Just politics, campaigning and complaining about one another. It's like an episode of The View.

I realize that this topic has been beaten to death, but I just wanted to make this observation.

• undercover
    undercover

Yep... once you're able to step back and look in from the outside you start to see all the dirt. You see the politics in the elder body. The ass kissing in the MS and Pioneer ranks. The ass kissing of elders to COs and DOs. The cliques in the 'favored' families. The 'in' families getting away with things that would get others DFd.

Those on the inside and living it don't see it...that 'can't see the forest for the trees' kind of thing. For most, they don't realize it until their eyes are opened in some other way and then it starts to hit home just how petty and immature JWs can really be.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I lack the necessary appendage to ever have been an elder, but your observations are interesting.

I think those same traits are exhibited amongst the congregation, too.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I know of one (years ago) who got so mad at the other elders that he threatened to burn down the kingdom hall.

True story.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I have found it very odd how much in-fighting and back-biting go on among certian BOE's.

You don't really find it "odd", do you? I would think that it would only be odd if one believes it's God's Organization.

• onemore
    onemore

Falcon, I noticed the same. That was actually one the many things that helped me see the truth about the “Truth”.

One of the things that frustrated me the most was that no matter how hard you worked at any “privilege”, it was never good enough for certain members of the BOE, and it was usually those that were trying to reflect their deficiencies on others.

I was commenting to my wife, just this weekend, that one of the things that I’ve been regaining since I resigned was my self confidence and self assurance. It just feels so good to be away such a toxic and demoralizing environment.

So to all of you lurking elders….give it up, it’s not worth it (just my opinion, of course).

Onemore

• im stuck in
    im stuck in

Falcon that is much of the reason why I couldn't do it anymore. I say get out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat. Most do not have the balls to quit. Most are more interested in being a big man with a badge. Penis envy I think! They need others to look up to them since no one in the world would give them a second look. Most but not all have menial jobs that suck. And as for all of the bs from the congregation it happens everywhere. They are handling matters that they have no right to handle. Since when does someone with no education have the where with all to counsel people about sexual matters or those with no kids even single men telling people how to care for children.

Since there is no holy spirit they really f up peoples lives. Oh well enough of a rant. stuck in

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

It makes you feel special and better then most everyone else. Power can be addicting.

NLW's wife

• Satanus
    Satanus

' I'm having difficulty seeing proof of God's Spirit at work here. I understand the whole arguement, "well, it's imperfect men, yadda yada..." but all I really see is politics. Just politics, campaigning and complaining about one another. '

It's the same thing among the gb. Ray franz' book, 'crisis of conscience' describes it.

S

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This would be easily explained away by the example of the apostles arguing about who was greater and seeking to sit at the right hand & left hand of Jesus. Imperfect human bickering.

The opposing thought would be "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." The jealousy, competion, and playing politics amongst elders in the cong, elders within the circuit (coveting for talks, privledges, etc), elder bodies sharing the same Hall, etc. is eye-opening.

Undercover says: Yep... once you're able to step back and look in from the outside you start to see all the dirt. You see the politics in the elder body. The ass kissing in the MS and Pioneer ranks. The ass kissing of elders to COs and DOs. The cliques in the 'favored' families. The 'in' families getting away with things that would get others DFd.

I disagree, Undercover. It's not until you are ON THE INSIDE that you see it all. Most is pretty well hidden from the R&F and MS. The deeper you get IN, the more you see the playing of politics, the simony, the nepotism, the backstabbing....at every level.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit