Is this normal?

by bloominglotus 5 Replies latest jw friends

• bloominglotus
    bloominglotus

I am reading Steve Hassan's book Combatting Cult Mind Control and WOW is all I have to say. I am pretty much convinced that this religion is a mind control induced cult. He actually outlines step by step the actual mind control methods used in destructive cults. While reading this book, I am finding myself really analyzing my experience while in this destructive cult. However, this has been a very difficult process for me....to actually analyze and finally realize the similarities this religion share with that of a destructive cult that practices mind control. Its almost a feeling of disbelief,shame,guilt for being part of this cult. While reading the book I have found myself saying, "You know what this makes so much sense."

I've been a total wreck lately and my husband is patiently sticking by my side,comforting me. Mood swings,sleep disturbances,mild depression...I mean is it normal to experience such emotions while reading such info? I say "while reading such info" because when I first awoken to the the truth about "the Troof" I had these same emotions. After awhile those emotions subsided and now that Im reading this book its like Im replaying the whole awakening process over again! I actually told my husband that I wanna go back to the KH just to analyze the techniques being used....My husband thinks its not a good idea to that right now....Its been almost a yr. since I've been to the KH...

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I have not read the book myself, but I sure identify with those feelings when I first found JWD/JWN and learned the truth about 'the truth'.

I'm guessing it's that you identify so closely that you are reliving the experience.

Maybe put the book aside for a few days (or weeks), take some deep breaths, go for a nice long walk and re-connect with your current life.

I agree with your husband, don't go back yet - if ever. If you want to see some of their techniques, read up and follow Blondie's series: "Comments You Will Not Hear at the Watchtower Study".

I don't know your current status, but if you have faded, showing up will put you back on their radar.

Do happy things and think happy thoughts. You are not under their control now.

-Aude.

• bloominglotus
    bloominglotus

AudeSapere, thanks for the advice. Yea I do feel like Im reliving the experience of being in there. Right now I am just fading....its been almost a yr

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Remember, you don't unlearn patterns and automatic ways of thinking, that you have practiced for years, in a short period of time.

The realisation that you've been fooled or manipulated somehow can make you oscillate between shame and anger and everywhere in between.

Don't make any rash decisions and allow yourself some years to steady yourself.

I hope that's useful advice. I've had about 5 years headstart on you .

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Many, like myself, went thru' a post traumatic stress syndrome on waking up and leaving the Borg. We have felt totally conned by the JW's and this leads to a range of emotions and doesn't stop after a day or two.

I'm trying not to obsess over the Borg. but it's hard not to want to strike back at the GB. They fooled in their lust for money & power over us and they know it!!!

It might be worth while researching PTSS although I'm not saying you've got this.

Regards Unky Punky

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yes it's normal. We look back on our past and feel shocked that we were so duped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit