Testimony of a JW elder and pioneer

by Hairyhegoat 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Jookbeard...

perhaps we should take them for what they are?

experiences of individuals.

Some may be embelished, maybe, maybe not.

Some have more enlightening exits than others. Surely we do not all have to start posting proofs, documents and photo's to prove we are genuine? every single experience we post, small or large, can be challenged for reality proofs.

don't be so jaded by the Lies of the watchtower that even those who leave are judged as liers too. The more people that leave, the more such experiences will be offered to the public. Sure we might doubt some, but unless it's plain to see that it has no credibility, why not extend the benefit of the doubt?

just my humble thoughts anyway

oz

• nugget
    nugget

It is funny what it is that causes a person to think for themselves. It is not unusual for elders to make a stand for what they believe. When the accounts are writen there is probably some editing and creativity but the essential elements remain intact. In essence a sincere person discovered the issues with the JWs and left to follow Jesus more completely. Jws reacted badly and behaved badly as they often do.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I am sad that Hairyhegoat left the truth - namely atheism and naturalism. I wish that by the age of 13 I had become an atheist and a scientific naturalist. Such would have been feasible if I hadn't been so indoctrinated by the WT literature and its other avenues of indoctrination. If by age 13 I had read all three parts of the Age of Reason by Thomas Paine, or the words of Robert Ingersoll (of which the atheist Joseph Lewis wrote a book called Ingersoll the Magnificent) regarding religion, or if I had read pro-evolution books by scientists, it would have made a huge difference and would caused me to not believe in a personal god by then, if also be not an outright atheist and a naturalist by then.

I am glad though that Hairyhegoat recognized that a number of the teachings of the WT are incompatible with the Bible. But most of the Bible is incompatible with modern scientific knowledge.

I notice that Hairyhegoat was disappointed that from the point of view of atheistic naturalism there is no ultimate purpose for the universe, including our lives. But for me the idea that there is no ultimate purpose for the universe, including our lives, is a big relief. That is because it means I don't have a purpose being forced upon me by a supernatural being (such as a god). It also means there are no evil spirit beings (of any kind) to fear. It means I can decide for myself what to do with my life; I can choose a purpose for myself. That kind of purpose is not a self-deceptive fiction nor any other kind of fiction. Being an atheist means I am fully free to think to for myself and to question what others say - something which is very important to me. It means that if an idea strongly seems to be utter nonsense (like many of the teachings of most religions), with no evidentiary support, then I can reject it instead of feeling compelled to force myself to accept it.

Yes being an atheist and a naturalist means there is no prospect at all for eternal life, but it is best to accept reality.

• iXav
    iXav

This is an old thread but the story is rather interesting

"Do you believe that the Watchtower Society is God's organization? Do you believe that the Society speaks as Jehovah's mouthpiece?" At that time I answered YES, because I still did believe it was God's organization -- but that it had become corrupt just as the Jewish religious system at the time of the Pharisees had become corrupt

They want you to say that the Jehovah speaks to the organization but they don't provide you any proof of divine intervention. At the same time, they say that Jehovah doesn't intervene in human affair in modern times.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Two Elders who visited me to find out why I no longer attended, about 6 months after I left, tried the old loyalty question on me, posing it in different words two or three times.

I neatly sidestepped the question twice, the third time i just went silent, eventually one of them broke the silence, and off the conversation went with me again giving no answer.

It was SO tempting to say to this arrogant pair , " You PROVE to me it IS god's Organisation", knowing I could smash any proof they liked to offer, but that would have exposed me to a charge of Apostasy I feared, and at the time I simply wished to fade, not be DF'd or anything, because I hoped to convince my JW family it was all Hogwash. Now that I know my JW family will never leave, I don't give a shit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit