Most embarassing JW moment

by mamalove 16 Replies latest jw friends

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I dreaded giving talks. I am not good at public speaking. Also, the pressure was so immense ! I joined the "school" really young cause my dad was an elder. Can you imagine the pressure on a 10 year old girl to write a 5 minute dialog with another person and incorporate a introduction, illustrations and a closing but also remember to gesture? What exactly was I preparing for? Theatre? or how to teach people about the bible? I regress.

I recall at about the age of 18, when EVERYTING was a bigger deal than it really is, giving a talk. This is hard enough, except now I get to sit in a crowd of 100 people will an elder (who was a security guard) ripped my talk to shreds and said over the platform that I did "not do any of the required points and that he was going to have me work on that again".

I took myself out of the Kindom Ministry School that week. For what I understand, they do not give council over the platform anymore? Maybe is was a blessing for me cause it was my start of the exit strategy?

:)

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

I remember preaching to my teacher, and at 15 I was so scared having to turn the roles around, in other words having to teach my teacher.

The next time I saw him I could'nt look him in the eyes.

I almost changed schools.

• elderelite
    elderelite

I have quite a few that I promise I will share when possible.. they are well known enought that I prefer not to share just yet, but there is one observation about the intial post... I would argue, mommalove, that being pregant and having thigh highs roll down is really not a big deal (of course it wasnt me so i shouldn't talk), but far more embarassing is that a 9 month pregnant women felt she HAD to go out in service in order to be concidered "regular" by a publishing company... hard to imagine that Jesus would support such a mind set...

• Open mind
    Open mind

So, I'm bored out of my gourd at the K Hall, and figure I'll fiddle with my new cell phone to get it configured properly for Watchtower Study stealth mode.

I've got the camera function going and am trying to make sure it's in "silent" mode. (You can probably guess where this ends up.) It's been an unusually long, boring WT study, and the conductor asks:

WT Conductor: "Could we please have a volunteer to read Ensnooziastes 7:6?"

OM's cell phone's VERY loud, robotic voice says: "OKAY!!"

Got some serious "WTF" looks from the conductor and reader.

om

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

om, your cell phone story just made my day. that was hilarious.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

These will probably give me away but I don't really care either way.

Middle of a boring Watchtower Study and one of the sister's cell phones go off... "We fly high, no lie, ballin!" She's having trouble getting it turned off so she runs out into the lobby and you just hear it getting fainter and fainter. Everybody was cracking up.

We had this one brother in our hall who was quite the character. He had the most distinct hearty laugh and I think everyone in the circuit recognized it. He would go to a lot of the halls trying to pick up women. There's a long story of him trying to court my mom for over a year after my dad died but I won't go into that right now. He was at the book study they were talking about Muslims suicide bombing to get 72 virgins or whatever and he shouts out, without even raising his hand at the very least, "72 virgins! Blow me up now!" and then he let out with his hearty laugh.

Then we had the instance of my brother who was about 5 at the time. My mom had him answer when they do those questions for the kids with one word answers like "Jehovah" or "Jesus". Instead of saying Jehovah he says "Batman!"

Here's another story. The one sister in our hall would always invite friends of her kids who weren't Witness kids to come to the meeting. They didn't want to come but it was the only way she would allow her kids to hang out with them. So the one day one of them falls asleep during the Watchtower study. Keep in mind he's wearing an Ozzy Osbourne shirt at the meeting. He wakes up with about 10 minutes left, stands up, stretches, yawns really loud and then says really loudly "Is the meeting over yet?"

Good times...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have two key ones. Ministry School was sheer agony. I was so young and criticized my illiterate jerks aka brothers. The female not being able to talk naturally but couching in the guise of a service call was problematic. Forgetting about important school work, I memorized my part completely. We were outcasts in many ways. I had no h/holder. My mom was not around. So my father corrals the overseer's wife for me. She did not learn her lines. When the whole thing fell apart, my voice broke from a cold and my nerves. I was trying to the utmost and everyone laughed. It was monstrous.

The second one is far worse. My father was an abusive control freak. I had just started menstruating when we travelled to a convention in Novia Scotia. My father demanded to lock up the handbags. I whispered to my mom that I needed my bag. The thought of my father knowing I did something dealing with female sexuality revolted me. I was so proud of my outfit with matching shoes and bag. Sans my handbag, there was no pad. I hoped the one I was wearing would last. It did not. I had a massive stain. My age was 11. So much for feeling pretty. My mom was angry with me b/c of the stress.

I was the oldest so I was blazing new territory. My mom never explained how she functioned. Pads and tampons should be free. Laws ought to be enacted that they are plentiful in bathrooms. I despise those machines. You pay so much and the pads are so bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit