WT to release tablet computer at next convention?

by moshe 23 Replies latest jw friends

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

They could play it up as being at the "forefront" of new technology, a la when the Creation Drama was being played, or when the R&F preached with the phonograph record. I can't see how they would ever go back to "selling" the literature, e-version or otherwise - unless it became similar to how they "give" away the flowers at the end of the District Convention. "For a "suggested" donation of $20, take home a set of these great flowers!" - of course, it's not a suggested amount. Give us this amount or don't take home the flowers.

I don't think Jailbreaking would be a main concern, as the niche of the JW's would be so small so as to not make it worthwhile for an external hacker to break it. For WT approved internet, the device would likely have to be 3G enabled, and with that cost and the WT internet cost, it would be pretty pricey. Keep in mind, it'd be only good for email/web/downloading WT stuff, as the data costs of 3G access would be too high.

For the $99 price point, I'd think they'd be losing money, but probably around the $199-$250, they might break-even. OR, sell it for $99 and make cash on the WT internet service (sell the razor handle and make money on the razor blades).

my $0.02.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I don't think they could do it. To sell anything they would have to pay taxes and they won't do that. They went to the donation arrangement because they didn't want to pay taxes. They won't change that now

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

one other thing

They can bring their WT Haipad to the meetings and read the WT lesson on it, don't even have to print them out

A huge part of the indoctrination process is the repetition of the material - read - underline in preparation and then at the meeting read - listen to someone else's underline - 4 times over the exact same material. An e-text version reduces the retetitiveness of the process

• blondie
    blondie

I concur with Lady Lee, the WTS no longer can sell anything for a price, "suggested donations" is about all they can get away with without having the government on their neck about taxes and risking their tax free status.

• moshe
    moshe

If the WT won't "sell" anything, I guess, that leaves someone with a wide open field to develop and sell their own "Kingdom" branded tablet computer- the brothers would buy such a product, even for a status symbol.

• jws
    jws

Even beyond the donation barrier, I can't see the JWs doing anything like this. As far as I can see, I don't see much online. Some books, but no downloadable content or monthly mags. You would think that all of this information from God's faithful slave and the "one true religion" should all be available for download to the masses. But it isn't. Why? Not sure myself, but I would guess it could have to do with cash flow.

People don't see a need to ante-up some cash for a bunch of bits that they realize didn't cost anything in the way of materials to distribute a million copies of. And might not even cost extra for the download bandwidth (flat rate). So who's going to send them money for the publications?

If I recall the trends, JWs are losing ground in affluent and/or well-educated demographics and gaining ground among people who are poor, less-educated, etc. Are these the sort of people that would have the means to buy one or the skills to use one? Although not being techno-savvy, they are more likely to buy into anything offered.

And as far as a JW proxy, I would think most JWs secretly would rather have their freedom. Maybe they want to watch an R-rated movie on Netflix, see the joke everybody else at the office is laughing at, etc. Without an occassional peek at the outside world being able to be blocked and/or monitored and reported to your elders.

Although on the plus side for the JWs, you could make articles on-demand. Maybe downloadable, but where it checks to see that it's the latest copy every time you bring it up and auto-downloads the new one if not. That way, there is no old-truth lying around. If you want to re-read an old article, you find the latest version on-line. The Winston Smith edited version that contains the "new truth" that always was "the truth" (as far as you know). The nifty thing about this is hackers could automate the process save old copies and continually download the latest, compare, and expose what the JWs are changing without having to do extensive manual comparisons.

As far as reading and underlining, that still is possible with downloaded books (highlighting). It's probably even easier and they could even provide an "answer" button to highlight it for you. And, unlike the Watchtower library, which has old publications, you could have current publications with hyperlinks built in for scriptures, etc. You could point them at a ton of reference info to immerse themselves in, like with the Watchtower CDs. How many people go back and do that with old stuff on the CDs? If it's relevent to the stuff you have to study for the week, you're more likely to look up the extra stuff, further indoctrinating yourself.

And think of the preaching possibliites. They could go back to the days of carrying phonographs door-to-door and playing records for people. Except this time, it's a video or powerpoint on a portable device. Assuming you're in a neighborhood where you won't get mugged and have it stolen.

There certainly is the opportunity for indepenent JWs to take this and run with it. There are unofficial iPhone apps that JWs have written. The biggest problem is how much you can do, seeing that the information is copyrighted. Any third-party product would have to have the blessing of the Watchtower Society to be able to present that content. Without that content, what do you have? Some apps to help you record your time maybe? Powerpoint or something like it? BFD.

• designs
    designs

moshe- Wasn't there some group of Witnesses with an Accessories business in the Mid-West- Book bags and all of that stuff.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

they'd never support android or any other free system.

all their software is windows only, i think they even have a port for windows mobile (not sure if that ones official though).

• emperorslaundrist
    emperorslaundrist

what jumped out at me on this thread was the "safe proxy servers" bit.

I'm in the rbc, and the brother in charge of the IT dep for my area really likes to talk a lot. Last year I spent many hours in close proximity to him and his team.

here's what i remember, sorry if I'm repeating stuff you already know

-he talks to a GB member regularly (supposedly) and they all use tablets in their meetings. Tablets are fine in the KH.

-The GB is paying for raid 10 servers to be set up all over the country in secret locations and assembly halls. The previous project had been installing wifi in all the KHs. Actually our assembly hall already had servers, but the GB wants them updated and faster.

-he emphasized that we'll have our own internet, in "they" ever try to take down our website

-The GB has allocated a large yearly budget to all the rbc IT departments in order to set these servers up quickly. He wanted to save them money but they told him not to skimp on the quality of the servers.

-he told his team that this project takes #1 priority. They may need to miss meetings, assignments in their local KH or arrange to have someone else take over bible studies, but this is a special sacred service and it's very important that these servers be set up asap.

-eventually we will have GB talks streamed directly into our local assembly hall and the friends wont have to travel so far for the district conv.

I thought I'd add my little bit to the rumors of where the wts is heading.

• 88JM
    88JM

RAID 10? What happened to trusting in Jehovah? Surely he doesn't need backups!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit