Why Don't JW Congregations have a Choir?

by journey-on 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LovelyEunie
    LovelyEunie

They probably feel that those with gifted voices will take away due attention from the "main point". Riiight..But i was in a real choir for 4 years in high school, if I chose to sing one of the kingdom melodies with the people who cant read a lick of notes off those pages, Iwould outsing everybody. if I wanted to, never reared enough to do it. although now I might have to try that for the looks I'll get lol

• minimus
    minimus

ANSWER: JWs are lousy singers.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Didn't some prophets in the bible lose their heads because they were in a choir? Oh, wait... I might have that confused with birthdays or something.

Anyway, on a more serious note... I remember as a kid (or teen), at an assembly (or maybe it was at the KH), the fella on the stage... I think it was a CO or DO (they're about the only ones whut could get away with it) gave everyone some special instructions before one song.

He had only the men sing one verse, then only the women the next one - or something similar to that.

It was quite a sound to hear. Kinda nice.

I seem to remember that they only did this once though. The feller may have gotten in trouble for it.

Regards,

Jim TX

• snowbird
    snowbird
    He had only the men sing one verse, then only the women the next one - or something similar to that.
    It was quite a sound to hear. Kinda nice.

That happened at the close of a circuit convention once.

It was a 3-stanza song; the brothers sang first, sisters next, all sang the last stanza.

It was VERY nice!

Syl

• blondie
    blondie

For the same reason they no longer have orchestras at the assemblies/conventions or live music at the KH: unqualified people or too much time away from "spiritual" things. Interestingly enough, the Israelites had trained musical groups, orchestras, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit