Content is King- Why the Meetings Fail

by LostGeneration 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

LostGeneration - check your PMs

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Don't all religions regurgitate the same sort of BS on regular basis? What makes wts so much more of a bore is that you have to spend 4 hours a week listening to the same shit over and over again. The only changes are mind numbing like how GB are the greatest thing on earth. Another BIG minus for WTS meetings is the lack of bible topics for conversation afterwads - unless you want to repeat the party line in which case why even bother bringing up a bible topic.

• JuanMiguel
    JuanMiguel

It's true that all religions do go over and over most of their information, but the Watchtower religion has no "spiritual" aspect to it.

At least in both Eastern and Western religious thought one "meditates" over and over something to "find something new," sort of like an exercise in transcendancy, that's if I understand it correctly. For example some forms of Christianity practice a form of repetitive prayer and/or Bible reading to reach contemplative states that, according to them, cannot be easily described by words (one monk wrote a famous piece enttiled "The Cloud of Unknowing," for example).

While I don't suggest that we have to buy in to this belief, it does show why the JWs get bored. One isn't allowed to practice anything that could possibly open them up to expansive understanding and other states of "revelation" that the Governing Body would not be privy to. (Interestingly, it is forbidden to practice any of these conteplative forms of worship, the excuse being that one opens themselves up to demons if they do.) You can "review" the information that comes out from the Watchtower, but you can never "own" it.

There's never a chance for a "Joan of Arc"-like figure to stand up, because they don't give such a person a chance to be heard by others. They burn such ones at the stake before they can raise questions, raise hope, even defend doctrine from being changed (odd how that last part never happens in the Watchtower to the point of having heroes who have "defended the faith" from change--a facet that is practically a mainstay of other religions).

To repeat, not singing "That Ole Time Religion," here. Just bringing out the point that their content doesn't even have the "recommended daily allowance of religious expereince."

It's a religion of "knowledge" but not of enlightenment.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Lost Generation - GREAT thread!!!

And what wonderful comments...

I have nothing constructive to add. I'm just in awe of the concise, hard-hitting comments everyone's made...

Zid

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The ability to put your audience to sleep is the hallmark of somebody who has no idea about how to teach. While learning the electrical fitting trade at Trade School, we had an unforgettable instructor in mechanical theory. 32 years later, all the apprentices in my intake can still vividly recall this character!

He was dealing with a subject that could easily be "dull as ditchwater", yet he was able to present this material in such a way that all of us actually looked forward to when Charlie Crawford was giving the lecture.

I learned much from him about the art of teaching, tried to incorporate as many of his methods as I could when giving a talk at the KH - and was largely successful (going by the feedback I got from the brothers and sisters afterwards, anyway):

- It would seem now, though, that even this latitude has been taken away from speakers at the Kingdom Halls.

As for the WTS's written material, more than a few used to remark that - right or wrong - they still knew how to tell a good story!

Never use just one word when you could use a dozen to say the same thing.

And some of the words they used! I can recall at least once when the term "revivified" was used to describe something inanimate being brought back to life. (The dictionary was actually consulted upon seeing this, just to confirm that there really was such a word!)

Popular belief had it that such a writing style was the trade mark of Freddie Franz. Whoever the culprit was, the term "verbal blockbuster" must have been invented just for him!

Bill.

• wobble
    wobble

I agree with all of the above, and Bungi Bill you hit on an important point, a subject can be "dull as ditchwater" but if the teacher is passionate about teaching it, and ,more importantly master of their subject, then it comes alive and is easily learned by the pupils, and, as you say, probably never forgotten.

The problem the WT has, it has taken every bit of excitement out of the subject matter, it has removed the possibility that the R&F may feel that they commune with God, they are not allowed to, they can only approach God "through the FDS".

It has done no in depth analysis of Bible books for decades, even when they did it was not very good, the only book that came close to illuminating bible verses was "Commentary on James" and after they outed the main writer, Ed Dunlap, I guess they had no one capable of doing a similar work.

When the average JW gets on the platform to speak, he has no clue as to the context of the verses he spouts, or the message contained therein.

In short, he has nothing to impart in the way of knowledge, and as they never, ever had a spiritual, or mystical, aspect to the religion, there is no way to have any kind of satisfying experience, let alone meaningful, at a JW meeting.

The meetings fail in every way, apart from getting the dummies together in one place, to be mind -controlled in to obedience to the old farts in N.Y

Sad, really.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Thanks for everyones comments.

JuanMiguel- I agree much of the content of the meeting reflects the content of the literature. I came across a stack of KMs from the early 70s a few years ago. I was stunned at the difference content. While I don't agree with most of it as a whole, the KM from 71 was so detailed, the writing was so small, with tons of scriptural references. The current KM is like reading a second grade level book. Somewhere along the way they decided dumber is better for their adherents.

WTWizard and Room 215- Exactly. While religion isn't designed to necessarily be entertaining, the delivery at least has to be good enough to hold people's interest.

Juan Viejo- Will get back with you soon

DesiriousOf Change- I think thier failed prophecy has influenced them to stay away from the difficult subjects. Now all they can do is hammer "faithful and discreet slave" and "stay close to the org" over and over.

Bungi Bill- Yes the quality of teaching seems to be sliding as well. I think the 30 min talks were a bit of tightening up on rogue elders as well. The message was "Stick to the outline, keep your own research out of there"

Wobble-

The meetings fail in every way, apart from getting the dummies together in one place, to be mind -controlled in to obedience to the old farts in N.Y

Had to lol on that one. The sole purpose anymore is to "repeat, repeat, repeat" the same message over and over in order to keep them in. "Where esle will you go?" I feel so bad for most JWs, they are truly "captives to a concept"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Spot on, LostGeneration...If you ever look at a Kingdom Ministry see the same old articles rehashed for meeting parts. It bored me stiff when I was in. I used to try and add something a little interesting if I was assigned one, but I got told to stick to the material. So I just used to spend 10 mins preparing and go up and deliver exactly what was written, exactly what the G B wanted, but see the dull faces of the audience before me.

Bungi Bill is so right about public talks. By God, they could do with a Charlie Crawford around here!..There is no guts, no passion, no drive. They are talking about what they see as the secrets of the universe , it is stupendous, life changing stuff! but they talk as if it is just ho hum..zzzzzzzz

No wonder the youth are leaving!

• Lore
    Lore

It's my opinion that the meetings have always been REALLY boring. But for some reason for the past 2 years they have just become so incredibly dull that even my super righteous family can't help but moan when it's time to go to another meeting.

This last watchtower study was just horrid. We spent what felt like 3 hours, but was actually only 20 minutes, on 3 or 4 paragraphs just defining the word 'zeal'.

Nothing else, just 20 minutes of looking up various scriptures that include the word 'zeal' and inserting different words in it's place to explain what the bible actually means. . . WHY?!?!? WHY DO WE CARE? Can't you just take 1 sentence and say: "The Biblical word for zeal is a greek word taken from the latin phrase 'assid refluqs' and indicates your heart is burning in jealousy or passion" and then MOVE ON. Do you have to have a 20 minute discussion of this word?

It's just. . . So. . . Boring. . .

• Quendi
    Quendi

An old adage says, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." That adage applies equally not just to WTS material under consideration at the meetings but also to the presenters themselves. Despite nearly seventyyears of Theocratic Ministry School training, most of the men who speak or teach from the platform are public speakers whose abilities range from downright bad to mediocre. They do little or no research on the topic they are assigned. The material that forms the basis for the discussion they are to lead is, as so many have already noted, written very poorly as well.

I never went to the Kingdom Hall to be entertained. I knew men whose public talks were more like comedy revues. Yes, they were funny, but I wasn't amused. I went to the Hall to learn something about God and if the speaker went off on some tangent I got nothing out of it. I know the challenge that comes with presenting or teaching something that many people may find uninteresting. I taught high school mathematics, easily the most unpopular subject in high school. Nevertheless, my students enjoyed my classes because I knew how to present the subject in a way that would engage their minds. There are any number of ways that can be done, and I made use of many of them.

The WTS is not interested in engaging those who attend the meetings. It wants only to indoctrinate and control. It is small wonder that with hopes of the end fading from sight the meetings have lost the interest of attenders. How could it be otherwise? Since leaving the WTS, I have occasionally attended other churches' services. If anything, their meetings have been even worse. Oh, there is lots of singing, and a sermon can be delivered in a passionate fashion that will spark interest in the congregation for a few minutes. But when it was over and I left the building, I did not feel spiritually refreshed or upbuilt. The churches weren't interested in teaching, only in giving people a "feel good" experience.

I have seen there is not much substance in organized religion these days. I look to follow my spiritual path with personal Bible study and research because I believe this is the only way I can fill my own spiritual needs. There are resources out there for this and I look forward to finding much spiritual treasure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit