Beards vs. Bow Ties: Which is more "immodest" or attention drawing?

by Open mind 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.

I just remembered another Bethel-approved badge of individuality, but you've gotta have the genes for it:

Eyebrows!

Max Larson & Don Adams really sport some doozies. They certainly could trim them down, but nooooooo. They let those bad boys grow as far as God predetermined they should go.

Here's Don Adams,

http://www.aggelia.be/adams_don.jpg

Max Larson's are, IMO, the biggest in Bethel, but I couldn't find a decent-sized photo of him.

om

• kimbo
    kimbo

Can I have both?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Hmmm...beard and a bowtie...it sure doesn't work on Steven Wright....

• Open mind
    Open mind

LOL @ brotherdan.

I think his "Mad Scientist" hair stands out the most.

om

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Bow Ties definitely draw more attention IMHO

• mamalove
    mamalove

Nice beards are sexy. So I vote for beards more attention drawing.

• VOLO
    VOLO

In my old congregation, one of our elders (one of the kind ones) was an old-school architect who went stariught from the office to the meetings and he always wore bow ties because when he started out drafting was with ink on paper and regular ties smeared the drawings and got stained. When I'd see him downtown he was usually with other architects and many of the older ones wore bow ties too so for him it wasn't a fashion statement or to be "different". To him they were completely normal. He stepped down after a new superfine apostle CO told him the tie made it hard for the cong to concentrate on what he was saying, which really said more about HIM than it said about the elder or the congregation since we'd all been listening to Br Bowtie for years without any problem. Maybe the CO should have paid more attention to the brother's parts and less to his clothes. I say that because as far as I know Br Bowtie is still going to the meetings (altho he never bothered to try to get back his "Privilege" of service) and the superfine CO ended up running off with aniother elder's wife and getting DF'd.

• Open mind
    Open mind

My wife came up with the JW female analogue to beards.......................

Slacks!

Well-tailored slacks are fine for women in the business community, but woe to the JW woman who dares to don a pair for the Kingdom Hall.

om

• Open mind
    Open mind

Wow, Volo.

Too bad the elder/architect didn't ask the CO to give the Secretary/Treasurer of the WTB&TS a phone call for his input on this life-or-death issue.

om

• chickpea
    chickpea

there was a bethel rep who dedicated the hall built here in 1990-ish...

abrahms i think his name was, and he wore a bow tie

also a substiture CO out of duluth mn.... ness
    always wore a bow tie, even on the platform
    at CA's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit