What's Your Favourite Way to Treat a Bad Cold?

by lifelong humanist 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

prayerful meditation, bible study and preparation of this weeks intellectually-stimulating Watchtower.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I usually stuff kleenex in my nose as it is probably constantly running and take two tylenols and sleep for 48 hours..then I get up and blow my nose...

Seriously I very seldom catch anything..but when I do it lasts for a month!

Both times I can remember happened in January so I am assuming I had some type of flu.

Sore throat, cough and constant running nose..I ate a lot of cough drops and stuffed my nose so I could sleep without stuff running all over my face (ew gross).

My daughter had the bad flu ( test confirmed it) this last January and after two weeks she went to the Dr and got some meds for her subsequent infections of the chest.

She felt better in days. I asked my Dr how long they were contagious when they got "The Bad Flu" and she said 3 to 4 weeks. It lasts a long time!

With a cold an old wives tale is that "It takes a week to catch a cold (after being exposed) a week to have a cold and a week to get over it..

Hang in there..

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Lately I make my own ginger, honey and lemon 'tea'.

Heat water in a mug in the microwave. While that's heating I cut two 1/2" chunks of fresh ginger (use a steak knife to cut off the skin), cut a fresh lemon in half, and get out the honey.

When the water boils, take mug out of microwave, drop in the ginger, add the honey and squeeze half a lemon in the mug.

While it steeps for a few minutes, I get my nose and open mouth real close to the mug and breathe deep in the moist steam. I leave the ginger chunks in the cup.

When it's cooled down a little bit, I prop myself up on the couch, put my feet up on pillows, wrap up in a blanket and sip my drink. With my remote at my side.

For a little protein, the chinese restaurant nearby sells a quart of Wor Won-Ton Soup that is delicious and feels real good when I have head cold.

If not a full-blown cold but just starting to feel like I'm coming down with something, I go for little sushi lunch: Miso Soup, a few pieces of salmon and a california or spicy tuna roll with LOTS of wasabi and then a good night's sleep - seems to knock out whatever is starting to take hold.

No sugar at all when I'm sick or getting sick.

And get as much sleep as possible.

Feel better!

-Aude.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

A pot of tea with honey and spiced rum.

W

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

My wife swears by Cold FX.

I consume a lot of red wine as a prevenative measure. I get a cold every decade or so. Then I consume more red wine and don't feel so miserable. Single malt's good, too.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Thanks to all posters on my thread offering various remedies - I appreciate you taking time to respond.

The vindaloo seemed to help, and I've been using Olbas Oil - it aleviates most of the symptoms. Feeling like I'll be able to go to work tomorrow, now!

lifelong humanist

• mamalove
    mamalove

Umcka, it is the extract of a geranium plant that is supposed to work by inhibiting the virus from sticking to your cells. It works like most cold preventors or rememdies that shorten duration, take when you feel that first tickle in your nose or throat.

For flu, i buy oscillo, that works well. I also try elderberry extract.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Elder flower tincture. I read about a scientific study about treating flu w it. I bought 2 bottles to have on hand for the next time i got the flu. It cut down flu time to less than half the time it usually wacks me out. After 2 days, i was back at work.

It's the flavenoids in it that work in the nose and lungs. Apparently just the right combo of these for the body to use to fight rhinovirii.

S

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

In that case, Satanus, I might recommend St-Germain liqueur, made in France from hand-picked elder flowers. I have a bottle of it in my bar. By itself or mixed with a little blended scotch, it is a unique taste experience. If it wards off colds, so much the better.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Hot water, whisky, honey and freshly squeezed lemon or lime - orange if you must.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit