LINUX-users left in 'the dark' with Watchtower Library CD's ??

by linux-user 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• linux-user
    linux-user

Hi, I was wondering why there isn't any native LINUX-version yet of the Watchtower Library CD's available? Because i(as many others) don't use Windows, but the free Ubuntu-linux( http://www.ubuntu.com/ ) on my computer, and can only view those CD's with a free 'emulator', called 'Wine', but that is not always 'working good' .... So, please, can there in the future be a possibility to get a native linux CD ???

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I too have problems using Wine on my linux computer, not that I'm much interested in reading WT stuff on it as, if I did I could just run it on my win7.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, Kubuntu 10.04, GOs, Jolicloud, linuxmint & a couple of others, on the 1 computer, all available free, and Wine seems to be a problem with all of them, I really can't figure out why, but I am started to think that it may a hardware issue

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Jehovah's Witnesses should be using their time in the ministry, not messing about with Linux.

Welcome to the forum

Chris

• teel
    teel

It's an interresting question, as recently the JWs in my area seem to be under pressure from the org to legalize their software (me being in an eastern european country, where about 99% of home users never buy any software, and up until recently this was true for JWs too). So here they are, with a retail Win costing about one month's salary (no, I'm not exagerating), and pressure to "not steal", yet they have no other choice than to install Windows to have their beloved WT Library. Does the GB happen to have some stocks in M$?

• baltar447
    baltar447

You can get it to run under wine, also you could always run Windows in a VM. They don't even have a Mac version, either and arguably there would be more demand for the Mac version.

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Does anyone know if the Propaganda CD is available as a bit torrent anywhere? I've never been assimilated, just hovered on the peripheries of the Borg, and that's dissipated hugely over the last few months, so I can't borrow a legit one without showing up on radar again. I just want access to the same arsenal they use.

Incidentally, I use Mint 10 64-bit and OpenSUSE, both without problems. I think Wine had stability issues with KDE4 at first, but they seem resolved with more recent distros.

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Just a thought, do the individual Borgs have to pay the WT for the CD? If so, might that preclude a native Linux version that used any open source code as it would contravene the GPL? How could they make any money from that?

• teel
    teel

Cuckoo, just look around the popular torrent trackers, you will find it for sure, at least in english. Iirc the last time I wanted to download it about 2 years ago, I had no problem finding it.

The CD is a special order item, but just like anything else, they are "supported by donation". However releasing a software under Linux doesn't mean it has to be GPL or open source, there are plenty of commercial software for money out there under Linux.

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Thanks very much Teel, you now have linux guru status, so you can expect to be plagued by us Acolytes of the Almighty Penguin. Don't you just love that term "supported by donation"? Surely a euphemism for "dig deeper you miserly heathen". You get guilt tripped into donating excessively so you don't seem to be as tight as a fly's rectum and depriving the GB of a second bottle of Krug.

• teel
    teel

Nah Cuckoo, I barely use Linux, my work requires Windows I just incidentally saw commercial Linux software too.

The first time the CD was translated in my language too, we had a recommended amount of donation for the CD They said it covered only the manufacture. I higly doubt that... I think it was about 10 dollars approximately? Back then the software was about as basic as Notepad, and most of the text was available in digital form anyway - since they claim to be using the MEPS from the start of '80s - so I say even US$10 was much more than simply the manufacturing price.

Edit: about releasing under Linux for money, here's the complete answer: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#PortProgramToGL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit