Shunning - do JW's simply turn a blind eye to the consequences of it?

by jambon1 16 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

When I asked my handler about it, he said what nugget said and went further. He said how could the df'd person be so cruel as to bring this hardship on the JW's.

• Ex-Dub MS
    Ex-Dub MS

Ironically, some of the folks who tend to be the most hostile are those who've run farthest afoul of the rules.

During weekends I had my daughters, I'd take them--out of respect for their mother's personal choices--to a local KH where I once used to speak from the platform. I'd look at the folks making ugly faces at me and wonder....

"Wow. You cheated on your elder husband with your boss and YOU cheated on your elder husband with that young pioneer brother and YOU? I had to console YOUR husband after you not only cheated on him with a co-worker, but got pregnant by him and THEN told him he couldn't discipline the child cuz it wasn't his and YOUR husband is the nicest guy on the planet, you cheated on him because...I still don't know. And YOU'RE the ones making faces? Really? Really really?!??!"

-XDMS

• acolytes
    acolytes

Maybe i was over simplyfying this..but i always thought those that believe it is Gods love to shun,shun.

But as Ex-Dub MS has made me aware, most congregations are a pack of wolves, and why do wolves shun?

Acolytes

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "The analogies the society uses comparing discipline of children by parents to the more aggressive act of shunning reinforces the idea that it is a benign act done out of love. ..."

Hmm......

On the other hand, the harshness of a culture that enforces brutal shunning probably would also tend to be more brutal in their discipline of children... The viciousness of the act of shunning combined with the idea that the person being shunned "has brought [it] on themselves", would tend to reinforce the idea that the child deserves to be dealt with harshly - no example is set for showing mercy or forgiveness or even effective alternative forms of discipline..... [Thanks in advance for letting me quote your comment, Nugget!!]

Could help to explain why I was smacked around so much as a child - and saw the same thing happening to many other young people in the congregation, too...

Zid

• looloo
    looloo

the people doing the shunning are "judging" the disfellowshipped one ! didnt jesus tell us not to judge so that we wont be judged also ? and what about" those without sin cast the first stone " those who do the shunning have obviously never done anything wrong before !!!!! perhaps they should check out the scriptures more instead of the watchtowers book publishing companys policies , sad !

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

looloo - They will "harmonize" the things Jesus said about judging with the things in Paul's letters about "quit mixing in company," etc. I imagine it would go something like: Did Jesus mean we shouldn't differentiate between who was doing right & who was doing wrong? Not at all. . . puke.

Also, I think the "cast the first stone" account is considered questionable by some Bible scholars. Of course JW's would be quick to point that out as it removes one more thing from the case against their policy.

• mamamo
    mamamo

My mother always makes a point of telling me how it must be harder on those doing the shunning than those of us who are being shunned. Yeah, right.

I think with sites like this and the ways we have of locating each other these days, like facebook, shunning doesn't have the effects it used to. I have located quite a few family members who are DA or DF and we are planning on getting together. I go to Ex-JW group meetings about every other month and get together with people from there. Then there are all the "worldly" friends I now have that share my interests. Living without people who don't want to have anything to do with me, no problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit