Family Worship Evening, The Mormons Had It First

by Franklin Massey 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

This has been commented about on here before but since this weeks Service Meeting has a continuation of the article "Help for Families" I thought it would be appropriate to mention that the JW Family Worship Evening, appears to be direct copy of the Mormons Family Home Evening. If you have the January 2011 KM, compare the insert to the resources found at the official Latter Day Saints website on how to conduct the Family Evening.

http://lds.org/hf/fhe/welcome/0,16785,4210-1,00.html

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Absolutely! This is one of the more recent oddities that JWs should know about! Interestingly, once I became atheist, I was free to study many other religions (again, to learn their strategies for future debating) and it is shocking to me how many of the recent changes in doctrine, policy and "pure language" vernacular made by the WBTS mirror that of the Mormons! Especially the creepy-sounding new songs. The songs smack of "churchiness" but are also eerily similar to long-standing Mormon hymns. When I discovered the terms "Family Evening" and "Family Worship Evening" it just about blew me away. When I pioneered, I received literature from a Seventh Day Adventist (she said, "I'll take yours if you take mine" and I accepted, much to the dismay of the elder/pio driving the car). The pictures, tone and doctrine were almost identical. It wasn't until years later that the internet allowed free, anonymous research to discover that yes, JW and 7th Dayers share a common ancestor. (Funny how religions reject evolution when they evolve as well).

In speaking with a few ex-Mormons, they also have stories of intense pressure to subscribe, behave, conform and deny. Two people I've spoken with recently shared stories about the prodding from friends and family to do their 2-year mission. Unfortunately, for those kids, it's inescapable. But the interesting thing about Mormons is, their policies on disfellowshipping (yes, another shared term) are much more liberal. Family members do not abandon those who decide to leave on their own will. *sigh* ...wish we had it that easy. It would be worth wearing the magic underwear.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

I thought Mormons referred to it as excommunicating

• ziddina
    ziddina

Well, the Mormon religion is a few decades older than the Watchtower Society...

Mormons got their start in the 1830's, if I remember correctly...

That would be around 40 years before Charles Taze Russell gave up on clothing and decided to go into the business of religion...

Zid

• sd-7
    sd-7

Bummer. I was thinking about becoming a Mormon, back in the day. They had JWs beat on smoking AND Family Worship night! Heck, they even actually admit to being prophets, for crying out loud! At least with that claim, they can 'legitimately' get away with anything they wanted.

Besides, the Book of Mormon was pretty interesting reading. It beat the Watchtower any day.

Okay, and there was a really cute redhead missionary who was studying with me for awhile. That didn't hurt. ...Perhaps I should shut up now.

--sd-7

• sir82
    sir82

I sometimes wonder if the Watchtower looks with envy at the Mormons.

Mormon leadership apprarently exercises as much control over their flock as the GB does, but the Mormon organization seems to have lots more money, they have political clout, and they are viewed as less weird than JWs (though perhaps not by much).

Is the "family study night" a precursor to further "Mormonization" of the Watchtower?

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Yes, they do have excommunicating. It's equivalent to JW disfellowshipping, but immediate family is still permitted to acknowledge the person's existence. From what i could gather, their term "disfellowship" could be substituted for the JW term, "reproved." It's a lesser degree of punishment. if you want an excellent source on mormons, get on iTunes and subscribe to the "Irreligiosophy" podcast. 2 ex Mormons do a wonderful job (albiet sarcastic and full of hilarious profanity) of analyzing Mormons, their own atheism and they give analysis on all other major denominations (ohhhh yeah, there are 2 episodes about the 'dubs). Eps #41 and #44.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

sir82, You better believe the WBTS have envy! "Why didn't WE think of tithing???" The Mormon church is fabulously wealthy. But, they are possibly making their tax-exempt status vulnerable due to their recent strong arm tactics in California with Prop. 8. You can't be tax-exempt and financially back political candidates.

• pirata
    pirata

I like one of their suggested subjects for the Family Home Evening:

Tithing

Lesson:
    Tithing
    FHE Resource Book, 227

Articles:
    The Road to Financial Security
    Ensign, Mar. 2003, 30
    10% Tithing = 100% Blessings
    Jennifer M. Severino, New Era, Dec. 2002, 7
    Sharing the Boot Money
    Douglas L. Callister, Friend, Jan. 2002, 36

• undercover
    undercover

I'm sure they're envious of their wealth and loyal membership. Mormons are almost as wacky as JWs (funny though to hear exmos talk about JWs being almost as wacky as Mormons) but somehow they've managed to fit better in the mainstream.

I think because they are active in politics, partake in the holidays and join the military it gives them a semblance of normality that JWs will never have. They also don't have Gestapo death squads patrolling the hospitals making sure that their members martyr themselves by refusing certain medical care.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit