I thought that witnesses were the only religion that uses this name

by man in black 16 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
    man in black

I was browsing some of the businesses and schools that already closed since the big blizzard is going to hit tomorrow.

One thing caught my eye :

JEHOVAH LUTHERAN SCHOOL

CHICAGO

here is a description of the school,

http://www.greatschools.org/illinois/chicago/4969-Jehovah-Lutheran-School/

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Nope, there are heaps of churches and sects that use the name Jehovah.

The WTS just wants us to think that they are the only ones that do, and that somehow that makes them special.

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

I've seen a Jehovah Baptist church before.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Jehovah is the most important word in Freemasonry and Kabbalah.

Also, the Mormons use the name Jehovah, and as has been said already, a host of other religions.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Way back in the early 80s when I was in Eastern Washington state I got a new manager at the bank I worked at. After she found out I was a witness she made sure to give me a ride to a meeting one day (bank meeting) and had a religious tape on that used the name over and over. She told me that she knew the JWs said they were the only ones and she wanted me to know that it was a lie. I think you hear it more and more lately.

• joeblow
    joeblow

My partner's sister is very religious, and her church (no idea what one... never asked) uses the name Jehovah a lot... she always does a group prayer before traveling and prays to Jehovah. I find it weird when she prays for my partner and I to have a safe flight home after every visit (she prays right in the airport... discreetly, but still...). I respect her choices and go along with it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The name is not new and was in used way before the JW's "trademarked" it.

Many of the older bibles will still have it, though most of the revisions hav either gone back to LORD or used the more correct versions of "Yahweh" or "Jahweh" or even "Jehweh".

Jehovah is a perfectly acceptable name to use as long as one is aware of the history behind it and why it is not correct in the "hebrew" sense of the word.

The thing is, it is NOT THE name of God ( no more than any of the other versions and perhaps even less) and it is NOT needed for anythin other than if one chooses to use THAT praticular designation.

Using Lord, Jah, Jahweh, Yahweh or any of the many other ways that it COULD be is perfectly fine since we do NOT know for sure.

What we DO KNOW is How Jesus commanded us to Pray and how HE prayed and , at least for me, that is more than good enough.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

It was a surprise to me how much other religions use Jehovah too . THe Methodist church down the street has songs in their hymns that use Jehovah and I have heard the Pastor use it in his sermons .

• cult classic
    cult classic

When we were kids and heard someone other than a JW use "Jehovah's name" we would get really really excited.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

If you examine religious literature of the 19th century, before the JW's got rolling, you find the name "Jehovah" used quite commonly; in some circles, almost as liberally as in a Watchtower publication today. I think there are two reasons you don't see "Jehovah" used quite as much today: the first is scholarship, which has concluded that "Yahweh" is probably a more accurate form of the divine name. The second reason is the reproach that the JW's have brought on the name of Jehovah with their false teachings, false prophecies, scandals and general weirdness. I think churches have shied away from using "Jehovah" as often, lest they be mistaken for the cult that has so identified itself with that name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit