CHRIST is not my MEDIATOR? coincidental?

by clarity 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• clarity
    clarity

Shocking, that I never realized that Christ was not my mediator until 2 yrs ago!

Funny, the things the watchtower comes up with......I wonder where all these new 'teachings' hatch from? Imagine the GB sitting in their 'secret' office scratching their collective heads, searching for new leads!

Just thought I'd add this to the pile. 1979 beginnings, of a novel watchtower idea.

"They recognize that they are not spiritual Israelites in the new covenant mediated by Jesus Christ, nor part of the "chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation."-1 Pet. 2:9. 24 Yet they do benefit from the operation of the new covenant. They benefit from this just as, in ancient Israel, the "alien resident" benefited from residing in among the Israelites who were in the Law covenant.-Ex. 20:10; Lev. 19:10, 33, 34; Rev. 7:9-15. 25 To keep in relationship with "our Savior, God," the "great crowd" needs to remain united with the remnant of spiritual Israelites." Watchtower 1979 November 15 p.27 Benefiting from "One Mediator Between God and Men"

Now look at this, dated April 19, 1936 -

"We have a feeling that Germany has been transformed into a great house of God, including all classes, professions and creeds, where Fuhrer as our mediator stoodbefore the throne of the Almighty." Joseph Gobbel, Third Reich.

"A lie repeated a thousand times becomes a truth"

"For a lie to be believable, it should also be terrifying". also Joseph Gobbel

My 2 cents

clarity

• designs
    designs

You need to stop snoozing through the Watchtower Study

• Ding
    Ding

According to Ray Franz in CoC, this WT teaching drew a lot of mail from JWs who were quite upset.

A number of them woke up and saw that for many years the WTS has been trying to supplant Jesus in their lives.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I was VERY surprised when I became aware of that teaching. Major cognitive dissonance set in. My mom and I were going over some material and I asked her if it was ok to pray to Jesus since he died for us and was our savior. She said "of course". Then she thought better of it and researched it some more and told me that 'No, it's not ok to pray to Jesus'.

• sd-7
    sd-7

It's amazing. Neither my wife nor my mother would admit to this particular teaching. I practically used the Family Worship night to trap my wife into admitting that Jesus is not our Mediator, and she just wouldn't say it! It was the inevitable, only answer and she just dodged it! It would be comical if it weren't such a terrible situation.

The Society separates Jesus into Mediator for 144,000 and High Priest for the "great crowd" (still reminding us that Jesus has 144,000 'underpriests', whatever the frak that is). No such separation actually exists in scripture for the Christ, but hey, whatever.

Without the concept of the anointed, there's no need to depend on the Society anymore because their authority could not be perceived as absolute. So...there you have it.

The literature is propaganda--or at least it uses propaganda techniques, so it shouldn't be surprising that's similar to ideas promoted by the Nazis. Hey, I wish it were otherwise, too. Can't have nothin' on my wish list, though.

--sd-7

• clarity
    clarity

Interesting that quotes below from Penton, that show how the watchtower "stood squarely with the German government's principles and ethical goals. Indeed!

M. James Penton, author of the explosive book, Apocalypse Delayed, exposed the Watchtower's hypocrisy in an article written for the Christian Quest Journal. 5 According to Penton, the Watchtower took a definitive stance against the Nazi government only after Hitler rejected their Declaration. 6 In a personal letter which accompanied the Declaration, Watchtower leaders endeavored to convince the Fuhrer that they supported the "principles" of his government--No doubt, an effort to continue their book selling activities in Germany. 7 Hitler, however, was not impressed. In the Declaration Rutherford wrote:

The present government of Germany has declared emphatically against Big Business oppressors and in opposition to the wrongful religious influence in the political affairs of the nation. Such is exactly our position:...Instead of being against the principles advocated by the government of Germany, we stand squarely for such principles and point out that Jehovah God through Christ Jesus will bring about the full realization of these principles... [emphasis ours] 8

What principles did Germany advocate under Hitler's rule? The Watchtower reported the following in their publication, God's Kingdom of A Thousand Years:

Shortly after the United States was plunged into World War II, information on this Nazi plan was gleaned from seized Nazi documents....This plan aimed at a Nazi world order that Hitler, if successful in World War II, would mercilessly enforce upon the world and mankind...[He] evidently had in mind the Germanic Holy Roman Empire...At any rate, there was no reestablishment...as many people of Hitler's religion had hoped. 9"

(remember that song in the old song book...."that soon Gods neworder will be here")!!!

While it is quite evident that the Society didn't believe in Nazism, the Declaration reveals that they are just as guilty as they claim Christendom is for "Sleeping With The Enemy."

During WWI and II the Society criticized ALL governments, including Germany, for being manipulated by the Catholic Church whom they identified as the "Great Whore Of Babylon." 12 Yet the Declaration invariably exposes their own hypocrisy.

[The] Bible Students are fighting for the SAME high, ethical goals and ideals that the national German Reich proclaimed to regarding the relationship of man to God....there are no opposing views....but that, to the contrary, respecting the purely religious and apolitical goals....these are in complete harmony with....the National Government of the German Reich." 13.

www.freeminds.org/organization/rutherford/sleeping-with-the-enemy

So, maybe the idea of who's your Mediator got started here, with the Nazi's...I have heard of crazier things!

Designs, I had my hands clapped over my ears!

clarity

• carla
    carla

My jw either denies this outright or says Jesus is his mediator in a 'sense', whatever the hell that means.

• designs
    designs

Clarity-

When I had my hands over my ears it was always hard to turn the pages .........but hands over the ears is not a bad way to sit through the Watchtower study that's for sure.

Carla- our old mantra was: 'when it doesn't make sense wing it'

• Ding
    Ding
    My jw either denies this outright or says Jesus is his mediator in a 'sense'

I've had JWs tell me that the WTS is a "prophet in a sense" too.

It's the WT way of making something true and false at the same time and thereby escape the logical consequences of an untenable position.

• aqwsed12345

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit