Smurf Rumors - 2 Questions

by A question 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

No No No, it wasn't a rumor, it was true. I personally saw a dozen smurfs running around our Kingdom Hall at any given time. They would jump up on the seats and knock songbooks on the floor and turn the pages of peoples bibles and turn the sound down while someone was making a comment. They were annoying and disrupted many meetings. Then all of a sudden one day, they just stopped. They fell over right where they were standing and became in-animate again. I think it was because someone in the hall shouted out really loud, JEHOVAH and they all just dropped over. It was quite a sight.

LD

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

All authoritarian high-control groups need an existential enemy. In the absence of a real threat, the collective will fabricate one out of whole cloth, or latch onto what seems to be the likeliest candidate.

Vidiot, I'm reading Conservative Without Conscience. It sounds like maybe you have read it, and I'm just wondering.

I wasn't there in the 80's, but TWENTY years later, there was still a mother who was freaked out about smurfs. The version I heard was that a little girl had smurf undies and was sexually abused by them in her bed at night. (scuze me, puked a little in my mouth) I remember being extremely irritated because I felt that as Witnesses with the Truth, we shouldn't be drawn in by superstition or false rumors. Yet, everyone tolerated such insanity--even though I suspect I'm not the only one that saw it as nonsense.

Clearly smurfs were more evil than other magical creatures---duh--they were BLUE. AND, THREE APPLES HIGH! Look, it only took ONE apple to get Eve in trouble! THREE indicates INTENSITY. Unholy, Unholy, Unholy. Now, of course, any reasonable dub knows that the fruit in the garden was not necessarily an APPLE. But be honest. How many of us always pictured an APPLE when we thought of the fruit? LOL

APPLES PEACHES PEARS AND SUCH---OF THIS FRUIT YOU MUST NOT TOUCH.

Don't buy second-hand, you may be bringing home a demon. (oh, but be thrifty)

Don't listen to Stevie Nicks, (she's Wiccan) or Red Hot Chile Peppers, (they are gay), but all other fornicating, false worshipping artists are just fine.

Don't talk about your temptations out loud---The DEVIL is listening, he'll know what to offer you. (I don't know if it is okay to pray OUTLOUD about such things. Does Satan listen to our prayers. . . ?)

If you are in the presence of a Psychic, say Jehovah's name OUTLOUD. Because that will work like a "charm" to protect you from the devil's tool.

One of my FAVORITE, (in the sense that I hate it most) was the following admonition: When the Tsunami hit the coast line in Asia, Jehovah's Witnesses were saved because they had gone inland to their hall to meet for field service. The 2 witnesses that died were vacationing from Sweden (Or Switzerland, or something) That should be a lesson to us. Scuze me, what is the lesson? That vacationers will be killed by Tsunami's? That we must go out in FS every day to avoid catastrophe? Snuggling on the coastline with your husband or wife is wrong? What was that lesson again?

Oh, I know someone that died in a car accident while out in FS. Perhaps there is a lesson there?

I hated the superstition. They were suppposed to know better. Even then I just had no tolerance for manipulating events to fit some grander plan. Well, to some degree. I still believed in prophecy, so I suppose I was duped also.

Boy, I got a few more posts for the next 6 hours, and I just can't shut up!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

NewChapter - "Vidiot, I'm reading Conservatives Without Conscience. It sounds like maybe you have read it, and I'm just wondering."

Twice.

And Bob Altemeyer's online book The Authoritarians (http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/), the core research of which was the basis of John Dean's book. Altemeyer's research was incredibly disturbing to me, not only because it connected so many dots in American geopolitics, but because it was so well-documented and irrefutable.

In fact, it was a major factor in my fade; I had initially read The Authoritarians while I was still active (Altemeyer only mentioned JWs once in passing - the WTS is pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, after all), but when I found that I could predict JW behavior based on Altemeyer's research, quiet alarms started to go off.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

In fact, it was a major factor in my fade; I had initially read The Authoritarians while I was still active, but when I found that I could predict JW behavior based on Altemeyer's research, quiet alarms started to go off.

Thanks Vid. I will definitely be downloading that book. I am tranfixed by CONSERVATIVE. While my fade had nothing to do with the book, it certainly reinforced my decision. Also, the documentary JESUS CAMP, (some parts are on youtube) disturbed me so much. While I don't see JW's ACTING like these nut jobs, I do see the ATTITUDES being uncomfortably close.

Years ago, (more than 20) before becoming JW, I associated a bit with the hardcore religious right. They gave me creeps, but they had a mission. They were determined to become the majority and dictate how Americans live. And they are succeeding. What was once thought of as "fringe" is now mainstream. The book does a scary job of explaining why.

Alas, I may be highjacking this thread. I should probably start a new topic, but I'm low on posts again. I look forward to more conversations with you.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

NewChapter - "Years ago, (more than 20) before becoming JW, I associated a bit with the hardcore religious right. They gave me creeps, but they had a mission. They were determined to become the majority and dictate how Americans live. And they are succeeding. What was once thought of as "fringe" is now mainstream."

Oh, sweet jeezus, don't get me started. learning about the religious right, whil not directly an influence in my fade, was also a minor factor. In fact, I've sort of come to view the WTS as the religious right in microcosm (with a few distinct differences, obviously).

NewChapter - "I should probably start a new topic, but I'm low on posts again. I look forward to more conversations with you."

The higher your post count gets, the more posts you can make. And ditto.

Now, back to our regular programming...

• 21stcenturywoman
    21stcenturywoman

I forgot all about the Smurf urban legend until I started reading Kyria Abrahams' book. I am a child of the 80s, so this was a widely spread tale. After this absurd story went around, all of us Witness kids were forbidden from watching the Smurfs cartoon and owning any merchandise. One of my best friends was obsessed with those little blue creatures. So being a good little JW in training, I tattled on her to my mom because she was watching the cartoon when I was over her house. I remember telling on her too because she had a Michael Jackson poster on her wall. At one point they were trying to get all of us to stop listening to Michael Jackson's music, but that's another story...

Some of us were also forbidden from playing Pac Man, because of the ghosts. (SMH)

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I was a kid at the time and, funny thing, I NEVER heard of smurf/demon thing. Looking back, I can see that JWs wouldn't have liked smurfs for the simple reason that there was sorcery and magic involed. It's all so stupid, really...

V665V665

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Does anyone note the similarities to the Salem Witch Trials? All you have to do is change the names. While no JWs were executed, what would happen if WTBTS had temporal power? I believed these wholly unlikely Witness stories as a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit