Why WERE the Baptism vows changed?

by baltar447 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• baltar447
    baltar447

So this has been bothering me lately. Why exactly are the Baptism vows in the bible not good enough? Why were they changed?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Because the word "organization" isn't in the Bible.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

When a group needs to impose their authority they need to do so at the most BASE level and in Christianity, you don't get more base than the baptizmal rites when you dedicate your life to Christ, Our Father and the HS.

They add the organization in THE CREED and RITE of chritianity and guess what? they got away with it.

What does that say for the average JW that reads Matthew and sees how Jesus said to do it and then does it differently and is ok with SOME ONE else being added to it.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

baltar check out the Baptism topic discusses here a few years ago

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/6289/1/Perversion-of-Baptismal-Vows

Invetigator74

• undercover
  • Ding
    Ding

I think it was because a number of JWs who left said, "I was baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; I wasn't baptized into an organization."

They wanted to make it clear that when you commit to becoming a JW, you ARE committing to an organization and submitting to its authority over you to the same extent that you are submitting to the authority of the Father and the Son.

In an way they are making the organization part of a trinity to which you must give your full devotion.

And since in Watchtowerland the Father and Son only deal with people organizationally, guess who that leaves in control of every aspect of a JW's life.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

• undercover
    undercover
    They wanted to make it clear that when you commit to becoming a JW, you ARE committing to an organization and submitting to its authority over you to the same extent that you are submitting to the authority of the Father and the Son.

ding ding ding (no pun intended) we have a winner!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

What exactly are the baptism vows that are written in the Bible?

Baptism was a public symbolism of "coming clean" from evil deeds. Because people are very superstitious as well as fearful of reneging on secret brotherhood oaths, the act of public washing was designed as a ritual to counteract the oath rituals. Because it was a "public confession" it was a courageous display and afforded some protection.

Today the act of baptism has been twisted into a ritual to denote church membership. It is an act of contract, giving your authority to rule your own life over to the church instead. You are giving away your sovereignty.

• blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit