What Jesus Said About the Flood

by Franklin Massey 44 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    You need to look closer into that Syl...

I am and have.

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

So the flood is what caused and stil causes plate teutonics?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Plate tectonics is caused by the measured and very real currents of magma flowing under the surface of the earth's crust; the continental plates, for all intents and purposes, "float" on the mantle, and are subject to its flow. This has been confirmed and established by multiple independant sources in the field of geology for decades, now.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Psalm 104:8-9 Mountains pushed up, valleys spread out
    in the places you assigned them.
    You set boundaries between earth and sea;
    never again will earth be flooded. The Message Bible

So the flood is what caused and stil causes plate teutonics?

That is my belief.

As per Zechariah 14 and Revelation (can't recall chapters right now), I also believe there will be one final GREAT earthquake when the Lord touches down upon the Mount of Olives.

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Plate tectonics is caused by the measured and very real currents of magma flowing under the surface of the earth's crust; the continental plates, for all intents and purposes, "float" on the mantle, and are subject to its flow. This has been confirmed and established by multiple independant sources in the field of geology for decades, now.

Well, there is still some debate as to the main cause, but on a whole there are a few factors but I don't think a flood would be one of them.

Not to mention the time frame is just not there, the flood is much to later on in history.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Revelation 11:13 and 16:18.

Getting old.

Syl

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

snowbird - "When Jesus of Nazareth spoke of the Flood, He also mentioned Sodom and Gomorrah. Was that a parable?"

Maybe. Maybe not. Surveyers have found what appear to be ruins at the bottom of the Dead Sea, but that's not the point.

The point is that a parable arguably has just as much value as a teaching aid than an actual historical account, and Jesus of Nazereth was, first and foremost, a teacher. The tendency for some "Bible-believing" Christians to assume that the Genesis-as-literal-history concept is the only valid one is, in reality, a relatively recent phenomenon.

While researching The Case for God, historian Karen Armstrong discovered that Biblical literalism was a sort of (ironic) byproduct of - believe it or not - the Enlightenment; the rational/scientific method for explaining the world around us had had unparalleled success, but an unexpected side effect was the discrediting of mythology, to the point where the word “myth” even became, for all intents and purposes, associated with “lie”. In reality, the two terms originally had different connotations.

I light of that, how could people who revered the Bible associate their cherished scriptures with lies? They couldn’t, of course, and so Young-Earth literalism, well, evolved into its the modern-day (and occasionally militant) form.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Augustine used to say that one must becareful as to what to take as literal in the bible, should nature decide to prove otherwise.

( I am paraphrasing).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Augustine also said that Christians shouldn't be so dogmatic about some things, 'cause the real world might prove 'em wrong and make 'em look stoopid.

(I'm paraphrasing, too)

Ironically, I seem to recall a WTS publication once labeling Augustine of Hippo an apostate.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm not discrediting or discounting scientific knowledge.

No, not at all.

I'm merely stating my beliefs.

Syl

Edited: I belong to what was once labeled a stupid race, so looking stupid does not bother me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit