Preterism questions for Hillary

by Faithful2Jah 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Faithful2Jah
    Faithful2Jah

Hillary,

In another thread you described your understandings of the New Testament as being those of a "Preterist." Would you please descibe what that means exactly? As I understand it, Preterists believe that when Jesus referred to the coming end of an age and to the time he would return to judge the world, he was referring solely to events which took place during Rome's initial siege and final destruction of Jerusalem (between the years AD 66 and 70).

I believe Preterists also believe that we will all experience the return of Christ in a personal way when we meet our Maker on Judgment Day. I have also heard that Preterists believe that the book of Revelation was written before the year AD 70 and that all of its prophetic content refered to events which took place before or during that year. And they say that the thousand year reign of Christ spoken of in Revelation refers symbolically to the many years of the Church age.

Are my present understandings about Preterism correct? If not, will you please correct them for me? And will you please tell us anything else that you feel is important to know, if we are to understand the basics of Preterism? For instance, if Christ is not returning to set all things right during a thousand year reign on earth, how will all things be set right? By the efforts of Christians? Or do Preterists believe things will probably never be much different than they are now?

I look forward to your answers. Thank you.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Faithfull,

Thank you for your note which deserves a detailed reply.

I am just heading out to fill my heart with Jazz, my belly with pasta, and my liver with chianti, but will reply to you tommorrow if that suits?

Best regards -- HS

• Faithful2Jah
    Faithful2Jah

I look forward to it. Have a great time.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I just had the oddest sense that Anthony Hopkins was in the room.

Enjoy your dinner. Hare Krishna.

ps. How then, should we pray, tell?

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

AHH it's good to know there are some other Preterists on the board as well. I'm sure MR. Rocky will weigh in on this one as well. I'll keep an eye on it (the other one apparently)

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• Dino
    Dino

Whilst Hillary enjoys his evening, maybe you could check this website.

< http://www.preteristarchive.com

It's pretty extensive.

Then Hillary will fill in the gaps! Drink a carafe (of Chianti) for me, my man.

Also Faithful2Jah, might I recommend "The Parousia" by J. Stuart Russell.

Dino

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Dino,

Parousia is a GREAT book one of the best on Preterism. Too bad we didn't follow THAT Russel instead hahah

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• Dino
    Dino

Hey Ven.

Aint that the truth!

Dino

• SUSCARRA
    SUSCARRA

Venice, I haven't read Parousia yet, but my husband is reading it right now. He loves it. Beyond End Times, by John Noe is a good one to start with. He also, wrote Dead in Their Tracts, very good reading.
    I'm so glad I had thses to read. It makes a lot of since.

Try these also: Before Jerusalem Fell and Perilous Times, both by Kenneth Gentry. Matthew Twenty-Four Fulfilled, by John Bray.

Hope these hel, they sure cleared up a lot of things for me.

Glad to meet another Preterist.

Good reading to you.

• Mr Rocky
    Mr Rocky

To Faithful2Jah:
    Your take on Preterism is not to bad. Like so many ways of understanding the bible preterists have differing ones too. For one there are, full-preterist(also known as Hyper-Preterist) and partial-preterist. Full and Partial Preterist say that armageddon was the end of the Jewish System of things in 70AD. This is what the apostles being Jewish would have thought while Jesus spoke to them on the Mount of Olives. Also this is what they would have thought, when he at that time stated, "this generation will by no means pass away untill all these things occur."
    When the Jesus sets up his kingdom determines the difference between full and partial Preterist. Full Preterist would tend to say the Kingdom began at the same time(70AD) or 40 years earlier with John the Babtist declaring the kingdom is at hand.Matt.3:2 And "The law and the Prophets untill John. From then on the kingdom of god is being declared as good news and everyone -into it is forcing self-."(-greek word for word-)Luke 16;16. This would indicate that one was able to enter the kingdom at that time.
    Partial Preterist have similar view as to when the kingdom will come as JWs have now. The same only in that sometime in the future God will set up his kingdom in the future.
    The books mentioned above are very good, make sure you are willing to think because to be a preterist requires one to put ones-self in the shoes of the people back in Jesus day. Not trying to pull the story of the Bible forward to our day but to read it as you would any period piece of literature. A very necessary rule to understand any book on history.
    VeniceIT can furnish you with the book "What happened In A.D. 70?" by Edward Stevens. This small book is a good disscussion on the Olivet discourse Matt 24 to see the differences between full and Partial. yours Rocky

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit